A series of ethical policies has been developed by editors and editorial board with the purpose of ensuring impartiality and ethics of studies to be published in the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology. These policies include processes related to authors, reviewers, editors and studies.
Ethical tasks and responsibilities in the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology have been prepared in consideration of publishing policies of national and international indexed journals and open-access policies and guidelines published by Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE).
Ethical Responsibilities of Authors
Authors submitting studies to the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology are expected to fulfill following ethical responsibilities:
- Studies must be original and up-to-date.
- All reference works must be cited or quoted fully and accurately.
- Names that do not contribute to the study are not to be specified as authors.
- Conflict of interest or relationships must be explained (if available).
- Raw materials of submitted article(s) can be requested within the framework of evaluation processes. Authors must submit the requested data and information to editorial and science boards.
- Authors are liable to cooperate with editor in informing journal editor or publisher, correcting or withdrawing in case that an inaccuracy or error is detected about any published or under-review study.
- Authors are not to submit their studies to application processes of multiple journals.
- Any study published in other journal is not to be submitted to the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology.
- Any under-review study submitted to another journal is not to be submitted to the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology.
- Any process such as adding-removing author, changing the order of authors cannot be demanded for a study under review process.
Ethical Responsibilities of Reviewers
Studies submitted to the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology are reviewed by at least two reviewers in the related field. Ideas of editor or a third reviewer are asked in case of equity between negative and positive views on the article during reviewing process.
Double-blind review process has been adopted in the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology, authors and reviewers are not aware of each other’s identity.
At the beginning of the reviewing process reviewers are liable;
- to read publishing principles of the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology,
- to accept assessing only the studies in their speciality fields,
- not to accept assessing the article in the field of which they are not expert even for having information about the topic of the given article,
- to complete the review process in a certain period of time,
- to refuse assessing in case of a conflict of interest and inform editor about it,
- to review on unbiased and confidentiality terms,
- to inform editor when the assessed article has already been submitted to any other journal,
- to refuse assessing when they realize they cannot be objective.
During evaluation process reviewers are liable ;
- to pay attention not to bring the effect of religion, race, sex, political views and so on to review process,
- to conduct evaluation in a constructive and polite language,
- not to comment personal views such as hospitality, insult and reflexion,
- to make sure that the review is related to the content of any given article,
- not to erase and rewrite the phrases originally written by authors, but to suggest amendment instead,
- to eradicate the study following the evaluation process.
Ethical Tasks and Responsibilities of Reviewers
General Tasks and Responsibilities
Editors are liable to;
- ensure the development of the journal in national and international sense,
- manage processes to improve the quality of published studies,
- conduct processes to apply ethical rules for all shareholders of the journal,
- update publishing and ethical policies with the purpose of bringing contribution to the development of the journal,
- organize and update website of the journal.
Relationships with Readers
- must consider readers’ feedbacks towards publishing, scope and ethics of the journal,
- must improve the studies published in the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology in consideration of interests and needs of readers,
- are liable to respond the questions of readers in line with ethical rules.
Relationships with Authors
Responsibilities of editors to authors are as follows;
- to submit the studies to editorial board to decide whether the studies are to be sent to reviewers or not,
- to inform authors about publishing and ethical policies,
- to prevent possible conflicts between authors and reviewers,
- to carry out “Double-Blind Review” in a healthy way and to ensure an unbiased evaluation process,
- to assess the demands of authors towards not to send their studies to reviewers with whom they have conflict of interest,
- to affirm demands of authors to withdraw their studies under review process,
- to assess authors’ objections to reviewer and editor decisions/reports and to initiate a new review process where available.
Relationships with Reviewers
Responsibilities of editors to reviewers are as follows;
- to determine a suitable reviewer in related field of the study,
- to ensure information and guidelines needed by reviewers during review process,
- to monitor any conflict of interest between authors and reviewers,
- to keep information of reviewer confidential,
- to encourage reviewers to be unbiased,
- to respond questions of reviewers about publishing and ethical policies,
- to update the pool of reviewers with the purpose of improving,
- to remind reviewers about timing,
- to encourage reviewers to make constructive, polite and appropriate review.
Relationships with Editorial Board
Editors are liable to;
- set meetings with editorial board with certain intervals,
- provide information and guidelines to editorial board about publishing and ethical policies of the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology,
- provide training to editorial board about publishing and ethical policies of the Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology where needed,
- improve the journal in consideration of feedbacks of the editorial board,
- to ensure objectivity of the members of the editorial board,
- to encourage editorial board to make review in scientific framework,
- to contact with related member of the editorial board in line with the topic of the candidate study.
- detect the reviewers to whom the studies should not be sent due to conflict of interest and/or other ethical reasons,
- withdraw their unpublished study during review process,
- oppose to reviewer reports and editor decisions,
- demand erratum for information errors or problematic areas in the given study to be published in the first issue due to error in fact during publication process.