An Integrated Fuzzy DEMATEL and Intuitionistic Fuzzy TOPSIS Method to Evaluate Sustainable Supplier Performance
201 - 226,
Sustainability has gained more attention in an attempt to avoid unwanted results in the business environment since its main objective is to minimize the negative impact on the economy, society, and the environment. A supplier relationship is one of the critical concepts in sustainable supply chain management. Companies ought to measure their supplier’s performance in terms of sustainability. This study aims to suggest an efficient alternative integrated Multi-Criteria-Decision-Making (MCDM) method in order to evaluate sustainable supplier performance. In this method, an integrated Fuzzy Decision-Making Trial and Evaluation Laboratory (DEMATEL) method and Intuitionistic Fuzzy Technique for Order Preference by Similarity to Ideal Solution (IF-TOPSIS) method is proposed to evaluate sustainable supplier performance. A case study is conducted in a Turkish chemical company operating in the FMCG industry.
- Ahmadi, H. B., Kusi-Sarpong, S., & Rezaei, J. (2017). Assessing the social sustainability of supply chains using Best Worst Method. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 126, 99-106.
- Amindoust, A., Ahmed, S., Saghafinia, A., & Bahreininejad, A. (2012). Sustainable supplier selection: A ranking model based on fuzzy inference system. Applied soft computing, 12(6), 1668-1677.
- Awasthi, A., Chauhan, S. S., & Goyal, S. K. (2010). A fuzzy multicriteria approach for evaluating environmental performance of suppliers. International Journal of Production Economics, 126(2), 370-378.
- Azadnia, A. H., Saman, M. Z. M., & Wong, K. Y. (2015). Sustainable supplier selection and order lot-sizing: an integrated multi-objective decision-making process. International Journal of Production Research, 53(2), 383-408.
- Azimifard, A., Moosavirad, S. H., & Ariafar, S. (2018). Selecting sustainable supplier countries for Iran's steel industry at three levels by using AHP and TOPSIS methods. Resources Policy, 57, 30-44.
- Bai, C., & Sarkis, J. (2014). "Determining and applying sustainable supplier key performance indicators", Supply Chain Management-an International Journal, 19(3), 275-291.
- Bai, C., & Sarkis, J. (2010). Integrating sustainability into supplier selection with grey system and rough set methodologies. International Journal of Production Economics, 124(1), 252-264.
- Brandenburg, M., Govindan, K., Sarkis, J., & Seuring, S. (2014). Quantitative models for sustainable supply chain management: Developments and directions. European journal of operational research, 233(2), 299-312.
- Büyüközkan, G., & Çifçi, G. (2011). A novel fuzzy multi-criteria decision framework for sustainable supplier selection with incomplete information. Computers in industry, 62(2), 164-174.
- Büyüközkan, G., & Çifçi, G. (2012). A novel hybrid MCDM approach based on fuzzy DEMATEL, fuzzy ANP and fuzzy TOPSIS to evaluate green suppliers. Expert Systems with Applications, 39(3), 3000-3011.
- Büyüközkan, G., & Güleryüz, S. (2016). Multi criteria group decision making approach for smart phone selection using intuitionistic fuzzy TOPSIS. International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, 9(4), 709-725.
- Büyüközkan, G., & Karabulut, Y. (2018). Sustainability performance evaluation: Literature review and future directions. Journal of environmental management, 217, 253-267.
- Chaharsooghi, S. K., & Ashrafi, M. (2014). Sustainable supplier performance evaluation and selection with neofuzzy TOPSIS method. International scholarly research notices, 2014.
- Chang, B., Chang, C. W., & Wu, C. H. (2011). Fuzzy DEMATEL method for developing supplier selection criteria. Expert systems with Applications, 38(3), 1850-1858.
- Chen, Z., Ming, X., Zhou, T., & Chang, Y. (2020). Sustainable supplier selection for smart supply chain considering internal and external uncertainty: An integrated rough-fuzzy approach. Applied Soft Computing, 87, 106004.
- Dalalah, D., Hayajneh, M., & Batieha, F. (2011). A fuzzy multi-criteria decision making model for supplier selection. Expert systems with applications, 38(7), 8384-8391.
- Fallahpour, A., Olugu, E. U., Musa, S. N., Wong, K. Y., & Noori, S. (2017). A decision support model for sustainable supplier selection in sustainable supply chain management. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 105, 391-410.
- Foerstl, K., Reuter, C., Hartmann, E., & Blome, C. (2010). Managing supplier sustainability risks in a dynamically changing environment—Sustainable supplier management in the chemical industry. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 16(2), 118-130.
- Gabus, A., & Fontela, E. (1973). Perceptions of the world problematique: Communication procedure, communicating with those bearing collective responsibility. Battelle Geneva Research Centre, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Gharakhani, D. (2012). The evaluation of supplier selection criteria by fuzzy DEMATEL method. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, 2(4), 3215-3224.
- Govindan, K., Khodaverdi, R., & Jafarian, A. (2013). A fuzzy multi criteria approach for measuring sustainability performance of a supplier based on triple bottom line approach. Journal of Cleaner production, 47, 345-354.
- Govindan, K., Khodaverdi, R., & Vafadarnikjoo, A. (2015). Intuitionistic fuzzy based DEMATEL method for developing green practices and performances in a green supply chain. Expert Systems with Applications, 42(20), 7207-7220.
- Govindan, K., Rajendran, S., Sarkis, J., & Murugesan, P. (2015). Multi criteria decision making approaches for green supplier evaluation and selection: a literature review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 98, 66-83.
- Gören, H. G. (2018). A decision framework for sustainable supplier selection and order allocation with lost sales. Journal of Cleaner Production, 183, 1156-1169.
- Grover, R., Grover, R., Rao, V. B., & Kejriwal, K. (2016). Supplier selection using sustainable criteria in sustainable supply chain management. Int. J. Econ. Manag. Eng, 10, 1775-1780.
- Güler, E., Avci, S., & Aladağ, Z. (2019). Multı-Crıterıa Decısıon Approach Wıth Ahp And If-Topsıs Methods For R&D Project Selectıon Process. Journal of Engineering Studies and Research, 25(3), 22-32.
- Hassini, E., Surti, C., & Searcy, C. (2012). A literature review and a case study of sustainable supply chains with a focus on metrics. International Journal of Production Economics, 140(1), 69-82.
- Hsu, C. W., & Hu, A. H. (2009). Applying hazardous substance management to supplier selection using analytic network process. Journal of cleaner production, 17(2), 255-264.
- Hsu, C. W., Kuo, T. C., Chen, S. H., & Hu, A. H. (2013). Using DEMATEL to develop a carbon management model of supplier selection in green supply chain management. Journal of cleaner production, 56, 164-172.
- Humphreys, P. K., Wong, Y. K., & Chan, F. T. S. (2003). Integrating environmental criteria into the supplier selection process. Journal of Materials processing technology, 138(1-3), 349-356.
- Jain, N., & Singh, A. R. (2020). Sustainable supplier selection under must-be criteria through Fuzzy inference system. Journal of Cleaner Production, 248, 119275.
- Jauhar, S. K., & Pant, M. (2017). Integrating DEA with DE and MODE for sustainable supplier selection. Journal of computational science, 21, 299-306.
- Jiang, X. L., Wu, Z. B., & Yang, Y. (2016, April). A fuzzy DEMATEL method to analyze the criteria for sustainable supplier selection. In Green Building, Environment, Energy and Civil Engineering: Proceedings of the 2016 International Conference on Green Building, Materials and Civil Engineering (GBMCE 2016), April 26-27 2016, Hong Kong, PR China (Vol. 27, p. 85). CRC Press.
- Kannan, D., Khodaverdi, R., Olfat, L., Jafarian, A., & Diabat, A. (2013). Integrated fuzzy multi criteria decision making method and multi-objective programming approach for supplier selection and order allocation in a green supply chain. Journal of Cleaner production, 47, 355-367.
- Keskin, G. A., İlhan, S., & Özkan, C. (2010). The Fuzzy ART algorithm: A categorization method for supplier evaluation and selection. Expert Systems with Applications, 37(2), 1235-1240.
- Khan, S. A., Kusi-Sarpong, S., Arhin, F. K., & Kusi-Sarpong, H. (2018). Supplier sustainability performance evaluation and selection: A framework and methodology. Journal of Cleaner Production, 205, 964-979.
- Kuo, R. J., Wang, Y. C., & Tien, F. C. (2010). Integration of artificial neural network and MADA methods for green supplier selection. Journal of cleaner production, 18(12), 1161-1170.
- Lee, A. H., Kang, H. Y., Hsu, C. F., & Hung, H. C. (2009). A green supplier selection model for high-tech industry. Expert systems with applications, 36(4), 7917-7927.
- Lee, W. S., Huang, A. Y., Chang, Y. Y., & Cheng, C. M. (2011). Analysis of decision making factors for equity investment by DEMATEL and Analytic Network Process. Expert Systems with Applications, 38(7), 8375-8383.
- Li, R. J. (1999). Fuzzy method in group decision making. Computers & Mathematics with Applications, 38(1), 91-101.
- Lin, R. J. (2013). Using fuzzy DEMATEL to evaluate the green supply chain management practices. Journal of Cleaner Production, 40, 32-39.
- Liu, K., Liu, Y., & Qin, J. (2018). An integrated ANP-VIKOR methodology for sustainable supplier selection with interval type-2 fuzzy sets. Granular Computing, 3(3), 193-208.
- Luthra, S., Govindan, K., Kannan, D., Mangla, S. K., & Garg, C. P. (2017). An integrated framework for sustainable supplier selection and evaluation in supply chains. Journal of
Cleaner Production, 140, 1686-1698.
- Mafakheri, F., Breton, M., & Ghoniem, A. (2011). Supplier selection-order allocation: A two-stage multiple criteria dynamic programming approach. International Journal of Production Economics, 132(1), 52-57.
- Memari, A., Dargi, A., Jokar, M. R. A., Ahmad, R., & Rahim, A. R. A. (2019). Sustainable supplier selection: A multi-criteria intuitionistic fuzzy TOPSIS method. Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 50, 9-24.
- Orji, I. J., & Wei, S. (2014). A decision support tool for sustainable supplier selection in manufacturing firms. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management (JIEM), 7(5), 1293-1315.
- Öztürk, B. A., & Özçelik, F. (2014). Sustainable supplier selection with a fuzzy multi-criteria decision making method based on triple bottom line. Business and Economics Research Journal, 5(3), 129.
- Punniyamoorthy, M., Mathiyalagan, P., & Parthiban, P. (2011). A strategic model using structural equation modeling and fuzzy logic in supplier selection. Expert Systems with Applications, 38(1), 458-474.
- Sarkis, J., & Dhavale, D. G. (2015). Supplier selection for sustainable operations: A triple-bottom-line approach using a Bayesian framework. International Journal of Production Economics, 166, 177-191.
- Schramm, V. B., Cabral, L. P. B., & Schramm, F. (2020). Approaches for supporting sustainable supplier selection-A literature review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 123089.
- Seuring, S. (2013). A review of modeling approaches for sustainable supply chain management. Decision support systems, 54(4), 1513-1520.
- Seuring, S., & Gold, S. (2013). Sustainability management beyond corporate boundaries: from stakeholders to performance. Journal of Cleaner Production, 56, 1-6.
- Seuring, S., & Müller, M. (2008). Core issues in sustainable supply chain management–a Delphi study. Business strategy and the environment, 17(8), 455-466.
- Seuring, S., & Müller, M. (2008). From a literature review to a conceptual framework for sustainable supply chain management. Journal of cleaner production, 16(15), 1699-1710.
- Seuring, S., Sarkis, J., Müller, M., & Rao, P. (2008). Sustainability and supply chain management–an introduction to the special issue.
- Shaw, K., Shankar, R., Yadav, S. S., & Thakur, L. S. (2012). Supplier selection using fuzzy AHP and fuzzy multi-objective linear programming for developing low carbon supply chain. Expert systems with applications, 39(9), 8182-8192.
- Su, C. M., Horng, D. J., Tseng, M. L., Chiu, A. S., Wu, K. J., & Chen, H. P. (2016). Improving sustainable supply chain management using a novel hierarchical grey-DEMATEL approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 134, 469-481.
- Taticchi, P., Tonelli, F., & Pasqualino, R. (2013). Performance measurement of sustainable supply chains: A literature review and a research agenda. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 62(8), 782-804.
- Tsai, S. B., Chien, M. F., Xue, Y., Li, L., Jiang, X., Chen, Q., ... & Wang, L. (2015). Using the fuzzy DEMATEL to determine environmental performance: a case of printed circuit board industry in Taiwan. PloS one, 10(6), e0129153.
- Tseng, M. L., & Chiu, A. S. (2013). Evaluating firm's green supply chain management in linguistic preferences. Journal of cleaner production, 40, 22-31.
- Uyanik, C., Tuzkaya, G., Kalender, Z. T., & Oguztimur, S. (2020). An integrated DEMATEL–IF-TOPSIS methodology for logistics centers’ location selection problem: an application for Istanbul Metropolitan area. Transport, 1-9.
- Yeh, W. C., & Chuang, M. C. (2011). Using multi-objective genetic algorithm for partner selection in green supply chain problems. Expert Systems with applications, 38(4), 4244-4253.
- Zhu, Q., Dou Y. & Sarkis J. (2010). A portfolio-based analysis for green supplier management using the analytical network process. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 15(4), 306-319.
- Zimmer, K., Fröhling, M., & Schultmann, F. (2016). Sustainable supplier management–a review of models supporting sustainable supplier selection, monitoring and development. International Journal of Production Research, 54(5), 1412-1442.
- Zimmermann, H. J. (1996). Fuzzy control. fuzzy set theory—and its applications.