Macroaggregated Albumin (MAA): Production, Size Optimization, Eu(III) and Tb(III) Complexes
Herein, the synthesis of the macroaggregated albumin particles was carried out under different conditions for the size optimization that can be used in Magnetic resonance and fluorescence imaging. The size distribution analysis was performed with the Mastersizer and optimized MAA had 31.57 µm size and 0.36 PDI value. Morphological analysis was done with SEM. EDX and FT-IR analyzes were performed by forming Eu3+ and Tb3+ complexes with optimized MAA. MAA complexes that can be used in lungs and liver imaging have been successfully obtained.
MAA, Eu(III) complexes, Tb(III) complexes, Magnetic resonance imaging, Fluorescence imaging
- 1. Maciążek-Jurczyk M, Janas K, Pożycka J, Szkudlarek A, Rogóż W, Owczarzy A, et al. Human serum albumin aggregation/fibrillation and its abilities to drugs binding. Molecules. 2020;25(3):618.
- 2. Dasari S, Patra AK. Luminescent europium and terbium complexes of dipyridoquinoxaline and dipyridophenazine ligands as photosensitizing antennae: structures and biological perspectives. Dalton Transactions. 2015;44(46):19844-55.
- 3. Asadi Z, Mosallaei H, Sedaghat M, Yousefi R. Competitive binding affinity of two lanthanum (III) macrocycle complexes toward DNA and bovine serum albumin in water. Journal of the Iranian Chemical Society. 2017;14(11):2367-85.
- 4. Tikhonova TN, Shirshin EA, Budylin GS, Fadeev VV, Petrova GP. Assessment of the europium (III) binding sites on albumin using fluorescence spectroscopy. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 2014;118(24):6626-33.
- 5. Amor-Coarasa A, Milera A, Carvajal DA, McGoron AJ, editors. 99mTc-MAA vs. 68Ga-MAA as Perfusion Agents. 2013 29th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference; 2013: IEEE.
- 6. Mathias CJ, Green MA. A convenient route to [68Ga] Ga-MAA for use as a particulate PET perfusion tracer. Applied Radiation and Isotopes. 2008;66(12):1910-2.
- 7. Umbricht CA, Köster U, Bernhardt P, Gracheva N, Johnston K, Schibli R, et al. Alpha-PET for Prostate Cancer: Preclinical investigation using 149 Tb-PSMA-617. Scientific reports. 2019;9(1):1-10.
- 8. Persico MG, Marenco M, De Matteis G, Manfrinato G, Cavenaghi G, Sgarella A, et al. 99mTc-68Ga-ICG-Labelled Macroaggregates and Nanocolloids of Human Serum Albumin: Synthesis Procedures of a Trimodal Imaging Agent Using Commercial Kits. Contrast Media & Molecular Imaging. 2020;2020.
- 9. MAA D. Kit for the Preparation of Technetium Tc 99m Albumin Aggregated Injection 2017 [Available from: https://www.draximage.com/pdf/MAA-PI-Oct-2017-1.pdf.
- 10. Mueller D, Kulkarni H, Baum RP, Odparlik A. Rapid Synthesis of 68Ga-labeled macroaggregated human serum albumin (MAA) for routine application in perfusion imaging using PET/CT. Applied Radiation and Isotopes. 2017;122:72-7.
- 11. Al-Janabi M, Yousif Z, Kadim A, Al-Salem A. A new technique for the preparation of ready-to-use macroaggregated albumin (MAA) kits to be labelled with 99mTc for lung scanning. The International journal of applied radiation and isotopes. 1983;34(10):1473-8.
- 12. Ilyas M, Haider KH, Saeeda A, Javed M, Shams Z, Sameera C. In-House Preparation and Characterization of Ready-To-Use TC99m-Sn-Macroaggregated Albumin Kit for Lung Perfusion Studies. Medical Journal of Islamic Academy of Sciences. 1998;11(4):131-8.
- 13. Ament S, Maus S, Reber H, Buchholz H, Bausbacher N, Brochhausen C, et al. PET Lung Ventilation/Perfusion Imaging Using 68 Ga Aerosol (Galligas) and 68 Ga-Labeled Macroaggregated Albumin. Theranostics, Gallium-68, and Other Radionuclides: Springer; 2013. p. 395-423.
- 14. Maloubier M, Michel H, Solari PL, Moisy P, Tribalat M-A, Oberhaensli FR, et al. Speciation of americium in seawater and accumulation in the marine sponge Aplysina cavernicola. Dalton Transactions. 2015;44(47):20584-96.
- 15. Alhazmi HA. FT-IR spectroscopy for the identification of binding sites and measurements of the binding interactions of important metal ions with bovine serum albumin. Scientia Pharmaceutica. 2019;87(1):5.
- 16. Balamurugan A, Reddy M, Jayakannan M. Single polymer photosensitizer for Tb3+ and Eu3+ ions: An approach for white light emission based on carboxylic-functionalized poly (m-phenylenevinylene) s. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 2009;113(43):14128-38.
- 17. Dhania SL, Chauhan A, Langyan R. Synthesis, characterization and photoluminescent properties of Eu (III) complexes with 5-hydroxy-2-hydroxymethyl-4H-4-pyranone and N, N′-donor heterocyclic coligands. Rare Metals. 2020:1-8.
Kimya, Ortak Disiplinler
||The authors are grateful to Prof Dr. Tevfik Fikret CERMIK and Doç. Dr. Esra ARSLAN for critical revisions of the study. The authors also would like to thank M. Beşir ARVAS for all his support.
: 10 Ekim 2020
: 23 Aralık 2020
: 28 Şubat 2021
, Acar T
Macroaggregated Albumin (MAA): Production, Size Optimization, Eu(III) and Tb(III) Complexes.
Journal of the Turkish Chemical Society Section A: Chemistry.