The length-weight relationship and condition factor of yellowspotted puffer Torquigener flavimaculosus Hardy & Randall, 1983 in the Eastern Mediterranean (Yumurtalık Bight, Turkey)
87 - 91,
The length-weight relationships (LWRs) of fish are helpful in fisheries science. A total of 504 yellowspotted puffer (Torquigener flavimaculosus) specimens (257 female and 247 male) were caught from the Yumurtalık coast of Turkey (Eastern Mediterranean Sea) between 2018 and 2019 by using a trammel net set with a depth range between 5 and 42 m. The sex ratio was found 1:1.08 for males and females, respectively. The length-weight relationship was described for combined both sexes by the following formula W = 0.00130×L3.094 (r2 = 0.918) with a positive allometric growth. Fulton condition factor (CF) was calculated as 1.713 ± 0.145 for combined sexes. This study presents the first results available for the length-weight relationships and condition factor of T. flavimaculosus according to both sexes in the Yumurtalık coast of Turkey.
- Ayas, D., Gürlek, M., Çiftçi, N., Doğdu, S. A., Akbora, H. D., Moez, S. & Turan, C. (2019). Length-weight relationships of pufferfısh species (Tetraodontidae Bonaparte, 1832) from Mersin Bay, Northeastern Mediterranean Sea. Proceeding of Next Generation Biometry Workshop and Course. Published by Natural and Engineering Sciences, Iskenderun, Turkey, pp. 18-25.
- Aydın, M. & Sözer, A. (2019). The length-weight relationship and condition factor of striped sea bream Lithognathus mormyrus (L., 1758) in the southern Black Sea region. Anatolian Environmental and Animal Sciences, 4(3): 319-324. https://doi.org/10.35229/jaes.565282
- Bilecenoglu, M. (2005). Observations of the burrowing behaviour of the dwarf blaasop, Torquigener flavimaculosus (Osteichthyes: Tetraodontidae) along the coast of Fethiye, Turkey. Zoology in the Middle East, 35(1): 29-34. https://doi.org/10.1080/09397140.2005. 10638100
- Bilecenoglu, M., Kaya, M., Cihangir, B. & Çiçek, E. (2014). An updated checklist of the marine fishes of Turkey. Turkish Journal of Zoology, 38: 901-929. https://doi:10.3906/zoo-1405-60
- Bilge, G., Filiz, H. & Yapıcı, S. (2017). Length-weight relationships of four lessepsian puffer fish species from Muğla coasts of Turkey. Natural and Engineering Sciences, 2(3): 36-40.
- Çek-Yalnız, S., Turan, F. & Doğdu, S. (2017). Maturation and gonad development of yellowspotted puffer Torquigener flavimaculosus (Osteichthyes: Tetraodontidae) from Iskenderun Bay, North-eastern Mediterranean. Natural and Engineering Sciences, 2(3): 1-11.
- Erguden, D., Turan, C. & Gurlek, M. (2009). Weight-length relationships for 20 Lessepsian fish species caught by bottom trawl on the coast of Iskenderun Bay (NE Mediterranean Sea, Turkey). Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 25(1): 133-135. https://doi.org/10.1111/ j.1439-0426.2008.01198.x
- Erguden, D. & Gurlek, M. (2010). The presence of Indo-Pacific species on the Eastern Mediterranean coast of Turkey: The case of puffer fish Torquigener filavimaculosus Hardy & Randall, 1983. Proceedings of the 39th CIESM International Congress, Venice, Italy. Rapport de la Commission International de la Mer Méditerranée, 39: 505.
- Erguden, D., Turan, C., Gurlek, M., Turan, F. & Erguden, S. A. (2011). Length-weight and length–length relationships of the Mediterranean shad Alosa agone (Scopoli, 1786) from the North-Eastern Mediterranean coast of Turkey. African Journal of Biotechnology, 10(33): 6332-6336. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB10.2386
- Erguden D., Erguden, S. A. & Gurlek, M. (2015). Length-weight relationships for six fish species in Iskenderun Bay (Eastern Mediterranean Sea coast of Turkey). Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 31(6): 1148-1149. https://doi/10.1111/jai.12839
- Erguden, S. A. & Turan, C. (2017). Length-weight relationship and condition factor of Ankara barb Capoeta angorae (Hankó, 1925) in Asi River (Hatay, Turkey). Natural and Engineering Sciences, 2(2): 50-57. https://doi.org/10.28978/nesciences.328918
- Erguden, D., Erguden S. A., Ozdemir, O. & Gurlek, M. (2017). Length-weight relationship and condition factor of spotted flounder Citharus linguatula (Linnaeus, 1758) in Iskenderun Bay, North-eastern Mediterranean, Turkey. Natural and Engineering Sciences, 2(1): 11-17. https://doi.org/10.28978/nesciences.292339
- Erguden, S.A., Altun, A. & Erguden, D. (2018). Length-weight relationship and condition of Arnoglossus kessleri Schmidt, 1915 in Iskenderun Bay (Eastern Mediterranean, Turkey). Sakarya University Journal of Science, 22(6): 1617-1622. https://doi.org/10.16984/ saufenbilder.347576
- Froese, R. (2006). Cube law, condition factor and weight-length relationship: history, meta-analysis and recommendations. Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 22(4): 241-253. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0426.2006. 00805.x
- Golani, D., Orsi-Relini, L, Massuti, E. & Quinard, J. P. (Eds.) (2002). Updated 2020. CIESM atlas of exotic fishes in the Mediterranean. Retrieved on February 22, 2020 from http://www.ciesm.org/atlas/appendix1.html
- Le Cren, E. D. (1951). The length-weight relationship and seasonal cycle in gonad weight and condition in the perch (Perca fluviatilis). Journal of Animal Ecology, 20: 201-219.
- Mendonca, A., Isidro, E., Menezes, G., Pinho, M. R., Melo, O. & Estacio, S. (2006). New contribution to the reproductive features of bluemouth Helicolenus dactylopterus dactylopterus from the northeast Atlantic (Azores Archipelago). Scientia Marina, 70: 679-688.
- Morato, T. P., Afonso, P., Lourinho, P., Barreiros, J. P., Santos, R. S. & Nash, R. D. (2001). Length-weight relationships for 21 coastal fish species of the Azores, north-eastern Atlantic. Fisheries Research, 50: 297-302.
- Pauly, D. (1993). Fishbyte section editorial. Naga, the ICLARM Quarterly, 16: 1-26.
- Petrakis, G. & Stergiou, K. I. (1995). Weight-length relationships for 33 fish species in Greek waters. Fisheries Research, 21(3-4): 465-469.
- Ramadan, M. A. & Magdy, M. E. (2019). Reproductive biology of the yellowspotted puffer Torquigener flavimaculosus (Osteichthyes: Tetraodontidae) from Gulf of Suez, Egypt. Egyptian Journal of Aquatic Biology & Fisheries, 23(3): 503-511.
- Randall, J. E. (1995). Coastal fishes of Oman. Honolulu, Hawaii: University of Hawaii Press. 439p.
- Ricker, W. E. (1975). Computation and interpretation of biological statistics of fish populations. Bulletin of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Bulletin, 191: 1-400.
- Sabour, W., Saad A. & Jawad, L. (2014). First record of the yellowspotted puffer Torquigener flavimaculosus Hardy & Randall, 1983 (Osteichthys: Tetraodontidae) from the Mediterranean Sea coasts of Syria. Thalassia salentina, 36(29): 29-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1285/i15910725v36p 29
- Sokal, R. R. & Rohlf, F. J. (1969). Introduction to Biostatistics, 2nd ed. New York, USA: W.H. Freeman and Company. 363p.
- Sparre, P. & Venema, S.C. (1992). Introduction to Tropical Fish Stock Assessment, Part I, FAO Fisheries Technical Paper 306/1, Rome. 376p.
- Stergiou, K. I. & Moutopoulos, D. K. (2001). A review of length-weight relationships of fishes from Greek marine waters. Naga ICLARM Quarterly, 24: 23-39.
- Tesch, F. W. (1971). Age and growth. pp. 98-103. In: Ricker W. E. (Ed.), Methods for assessment of fish production in fresh waters. 1st ed. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. 348p.