Legal Responses to Plagiarist Academics: The Practicality of Regulations in Turkish Higher Education
59 - 70,
This study follows a case study pattern of qualitative research while examining the practical manageability of Turkish regulations against plagiarism in academic platforms. The dataset comprises the Law of Intellectual and Artistic Works and four higher education regulations. This study analyses these documents according to descriptive content analysis technique. The analysis shows that the variety of legal regulations have led to a sophistication of procedures following during the investigation and decision-making of plagiarism cases in academic platforms. Therefore, higher education authorities should make an effort to constitute one unified, comprehensive and detailed law against unethical behaviours, mainly plagiarism, in academia.
- AAUP (American Association of University Professors). (2005): Faculty misconduct and discipline, available at AAUP: https://www.aaup.org/issues/appointments-promotions-discipline/faculty-misconduct-and-discipline-2005
- ALLEA (All European Academies). (2000): Intellectual property rights in Europe, available at ALLEA: http://www.allea.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Gottschalk_IPR_Europe.pdf
- ALLEA (All European Academies). (2017): The European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity (Revised ed.), available at ALLEA: https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/other/hi/h2020-ethics_code-ofconduct_en.pdf
- Alev, B./Genç, F.N. (2015): Türkiye’de üniversite etik kurulları üzerine bir inceleme [A review of the university ethics committee in Turkey], in: Akdeniz İ.İ.B.F. Dergisi, 31, 135-182.
- ARC (Australian Research Council). (2007): Codes and guidelines, available at ARC: http://www.arc.gov.au/codes and-guidelines
- Beauvais, L.L./Desplaces, D.E./Melchar, D.E./Bosco, S.M. (2007): Business faculty perceptions and actions regarding ethics education, in: Journal of Academic Ethics, 5, 1, 121-136.
- Berlinck, R.G.S. (2011): The academic plagiarism and its punishments - a review, in: Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy,
21, 3, 365-372.
- Blum, S.D. (2009): My word! Plagiarism and college culture. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Bowen, G.A. (2009): Document analysis as a qualitative research method, in: Qualitative Research Journal, 9, 2, 27-40.
- CIPO (Canadian Intellectual Property Office). (2017): Laws and regulations, available at CIPO: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/Home
- Ceska, Z./Toman, M./Jezek, K. (2008): Multilingual plagiarism detection, in: Dochev, D./Pistore, M./Traverso, P. (eds.): AIMSA 2008: Artificial intelligence: Methodology, systems, and applications, Berlin: Springer, 83-92.
- Creswell, J.W. (2007): Qualitative inquiry & research design: Choosing among five approaches (2nd ed.). Thousand
- Oaks, CA: Sage.de Jager, K./Brown, C. (2010): The tangled web: Investigating academics’ views of plagiarism at the University of Cape Town, in: Studies in Higher Education, 35, 5, 513-528.
- De Wet, K. (2010): The importance of ethical appraisal in social science research: Reviewing a faculty of humanities’ research ethics committee, in: Journal of Academic Ethics, 8, 4, 301-314.
- Demiral-Bakırman, B. (2015): İntihal suçları [The crimes of plagiarism], Ceza Hukuku ve Kriminoloji Dergisi, 3, 2, 57-77.
- Demircioğlu, M.Y. (2014a): İdari yargı kararları çerçevesinde bilimsel yayın etiği soruşturmaları [‘Scientific publication ethics’ investigations within the frame of administrative jurisdiction decisions], in: Ankara Barosu Dergisi, 1, 145-217.
- Demircioğlu, M.Y. (2014b): Üniversitelerde 2014 yılından önce işlenen intihal suçlarıyla ilgili disiplin soruşturması ve cezalandırma sistemi [Disciplinary proceeding and punishment system related to plagiarism crimes at the universities before 2014], in: Ankara Barosu Dergisi, 4, 327-362.
- Demoliou, C. (2013): Plagiarism policies in Italy, available at IPPHEAE: ttp://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-15%20IT%20IPPHEAE%20CD%20Survey%20Italy%20Narrative.pdf
- Devlin, M. (2003): Policy, preparation, prevention and punishment: One Faculty’s holistic approach to minimising plagiarism, in: Marsden, H./Hicks, M. (eds.): Educational Integrity: Plagiarism and other perplexities, Adelaide: The Proceedings of The Inaugural Educational Integrity Conference, 39-47.
- Downes, M. (2017): University scandal, reputation and governance, in: International Journal for Educational Integrity, 13, 8, 1-20.
- EC (European Commission). (n.d.): Intellectual property, available at IPPHEAE: http://ec.europa.eu/growth/industry/intellectual-property_en
- Egan, R./Stockley, D./Lam, C.Y./Kinderman, L./Youmans, A.S. (2016): Research ethics board (REB) members’ preparation for, and perceived knowledge of research ethics, in: Journal of Academic Ethics, 14, 3, 191-197.
- Foltynek, T. (2013): Plagiarism policies in Spain, available at IPPHEAE: ttp://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-09%20ES%20IPPHEAE%20MENDELU%20Survey%20SpainNarrative%20FINAL.pdf
- Glendinning, I. (2013a): Plagiarism policies in Germany, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-6%20DE%20RT%20IPPHEAE%20CU%20Survey%20GermanyNarrative.pdf
- Glendinning, I. (2013b): Plagiarism policies in Finland, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-10%20FI%20RT%20IPPHEAE%20CU%20Survey%20FinlandNarrative.pdf
- Glendinning, I. (2013c): Plagiarism policies in France, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-11%20FR%20RT%20IPPHEAE%20CU%20Survey%20FranceNarrative.pdf
- Glendinning, I. (2013d): Plagiarism policies in the Netherlands, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-20%20NL%20IPPHEAE%20Survey%20Holland%20Narrative.pdf
- Glendinning, I. (2013e): Plagiarism policies in the United Kingdom, available at IPPHEAE:
- Glendinning, I. (2013f): Plagiarism policies in Sweden, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-24%20SE%20RT%20IPPHEAE%20CU%20Survey%20SwedenNarrative.pdf
- Glendinning, I. (2013g): Plagiarism policies in Hungary, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3 13%20HU%20RT%20IPPHEAE%20CU%20Survey%20HungaryNarrative.pdf
- Glendinning, I. (2013h): Plagiarism policies in Romania, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-23%20RO%20IPPHEAE%20CU%20Survey%20Romania%20Narrative.pdf
- Gücüklüoğlu, B./Ayvaz-Reis, Z. (2014): Türkiye’de ve dünyada intihalin yaptırımları [Sanctions against plagiarism in Turkey and around the world], in: The Proceeding of Akademik Bilişim Konferansı, Mersin: Mersin University, 189-197.
- Hoover, G.A. (2006): A game-theoretic model of plagiarism, in: Atlantic Economic Journal, 34, 4, 449-454.
- Horn, L. (2017): Promoting responsible research conduct: A South African perspective, in: Journal of Academic Ethics, 15, 1, 59-72.
- IPPHEAE (Impact of Policies for Plagiarism in Higher Education Across Europe). (2013): Comparison of policies for academic integrity in higher education across the European Union, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-00%20EU%20IPPHEAE%20CU%20Survey%20EU-wide%20report.pdf
- Larkham, P.J./Manns, S. (2002): Plagiarism and its treatment in higher education, in: Journal of Further and Higher Education, 26, 4, 339-349.
- Macfarlane, B./Zhang, J./Pun, A. (2014): Academic integrity: A review of the literature, in: Studies in Higher Education, 39, 2, 339-358.
- McCabe, D.L./Butterfield, K.D./Trevino, L.K. (2003): Faculty and academic integrity: The influence of current honor codes and past honor code experiences, in: Research in Higher Education, 44, 3, 367-385.
- McCabe, D.L./Feghali, T./Abdallah, H. (2008): Academic dishonesty in the Middle East: Individual and contextual factors, in: Research in Higher Education, 49, 5, 451-467.
- McCabe, D.L./Trevino, L.K./Butterfield, K.D. (2002): Honor codes and other contextual influences on academic integrity: A replication and extension to modified honor code settings, in: Research in Higher Education, 43, 3, 357-378.
- McKee, C./Belson, S. (1990): The ombudsman in Canadian universities: And justice for all, in: Studies in Higher Education, 15, 2, 197-206.
- Miles, M.B./Huberman, A.M. (1994): Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Moten, A.R. (2014): Academic dishonesty and misconduct: Curbing plagiarism in the Muslim world, in: Intellectual Discourse, 22, 2, 167-189.
- Neuendorf, K.A. (2017): The content analysis guidebook (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Özenç-Uçak, N./Birinci, H.G. (2008): Bilimsel etik ve intihal [Scientific ethics and plagiarism], in: Türk Kütüphaneciliği, 22, 2, 187-204.
- Plagiarism.org. (2017): What is plagiarism?, available at P.org: http://www.plagiarism.org/article/what-is-plagiarism
- Potthast, M./Barron-Cedeno, A./Stein, B./Rosso, P. (2011): Cross-language plagiarism detection, in: Language Resources and Evaluation, 45, 1, 45-62.
- Regmi, K. (2011): Ethical and legal issues in publication and dissemination of scholarly knowledge: A summary of the published evidence, in: Journal of Academic Ethics, 9, 1, 71-81.
- SE (Science Europe). (2016): Research integrity practices in Science Europe member organisations (Survey Report), availableatSE:http://www.scienceeurope.org/wpcontent/uploads/2016/07/Science_Europe_Integrity_Survey_Report_July_2016_FINAL.pdf
- Sharman, J.C./Wilshire, C. (2007): Fighting plagiarism in Australian universities: Why bother?, in: Australian Journal of Political Science, 42, 3, 503-508.
- Sonfield, M.C. (2014): Academic plagiarism at the faculty level: Legal versus ethical issues and a case study, in: Journal of Academic Ethics, 12, 2, 75-87.
- Sousa-Silva, R. (2014): Detecting translingual plagiarism and the backlash against translation plagiarists, in: Linguagem e Direito, 1, 1, 70-94.
- Stabingis, L. (2013): Plagiarism policies in Lithuania, available at IPPHEAE: http://plagiarism.cz/ippheae/files/D2-3-16%20LT%20RT%20IPPHEAE%20ASU%20Survey%20Lithuania.pdf
- Sutherland-Smith, W. (2010): Retribution, deterrence and reform: The dilemmas of plagiarism management in universities, in: Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 32, 1, 5-16.
- Sutherland-Smith, W. (2011): Crime and punishment: An analysis of university plagiarism policies, in: Semiotica, 187, 127-139.
- The Author. (2017): …...........................................................
- Turkish Official Gazette. (1951): The Law of Intellectual and Artistic Works, available at MEVZUAT: http://www.mevzuat.gov.tr/MevzuatMetin/1.3.5846.pdf
- Turkish Official Gazette. (1965): The Law of Public Servants, available at MEVZUAT: http://www.mevzuat.gov.tr/MevzuatMetin/1.5.657.pdf
- Turkish Official Gazette. (1981): The Law of Higher Education, available at MEVZUAT: http://www.mevzuat.gov.tr/MevzuatMetin/1.5.2547.pdf
- Turkish Official Gazette. (2015): Regulation for the Examination on Associate Professorship, available at MEVZUAT: http://www.mevzuat.gov.tr/Metin.Aspx?MevzuatKod=7.5.20511&MevzuatIliski=0&sourceXmlSearch=do%C3%A7entlik
- Turkish Official Gazette. (2016): The Law for Changes in the Structure and Duties of the Ministry of National Education, available at RESMI GAZATE: http://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2016/12/20161209-5.htm
- Ünal, M./Toprak, M./Başpınar, V. (2012): Bilim etiğine aykırı davranışlar ve yaptırımlar: Sosyal ve beşeri bilimler için bir çerçeve önerisi [Ethical violations and sanctions in scientific publications: A framework proposal for social sciences and humanities], in: Amme İdaresi Dergisi, 45, 3, 1-27.
- Walker, C./White, M. (2014): Police, design, plan and manage: Developing a framework for integrating staff roles and institutional policies into a plagiarism prevention strategy, in: Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 36, 6, 674-687.
- Yang, R. (2005): Corruption in China’s higher education system: A malignant tumour, in: International Higher Education, 39, 18-20.
- Yanikoski, C.S. (1994): When the trial is the punishment: The ethics of plagiarism accusations, in: Journal of Information Ethics, 3, 1, 83-88, 96.
- Yorke, J./Lawson, K./McMohan, G. (2009): Can we reliably determine intent in cases of plagiarism?, in: International Journal for Educational Integrity, 5, 2, 39-46.
- YÖK. (2014): Principles for Ethical Behaviours in Higher Education Institutions, available at YÖK: http://kurul.odu.edu.tr/files/akademik-etik-ilkeler.pdf
- YÖK. (2016, October 7): YÖK’ten Üniversitelerarası Kurul’a yetki devri [Authority delegation from YÖK to ÜAK], in: Hürriyet, available at HURRIYET: http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/yokten-universitelerarasi-kurula-yetki-devri-40242245
- YÖK. (n.d.). Instructions for the Ethics of Scientific Research and Publication in Higher Education Institutions, available at
- YÖK: http://www.yok.gov.tr/web/guest/icerik/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_rEHF8BIsfYRx/10279/18187