Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Education and Psychology
Call for Special Issue:
Technology-Assisted Formative AssessmentGuest editors:
Ramazan Yilmaz, Bartın University
Ke Zhang, Wayne State University
Nuri Dogan, Hacettepe UniversityRationale for publications
Researchers have developed many technological solutions based on formative assessment to monitor students' learning progress and guide students to participate in productive learning activities. Various research results reveal the advantages and disadvantages of using these solutions to increase learning achievement and overall learning experience. However, there is still limited research examining the use of current technological tools and practices in education in the context of formative assessment and its impact on learning processes and outcomes. One of the challenges in investigating issues at the intersection of educational technology and formative assessment concerns how to employ educational technology tools and methods to monitor and evaluate students' learning processes.
Another clear research challenge is the role of educational technology in the analysis of assessment reliability. This was especially highlighted during the emergency distance learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which requires different assessment approaches that go beyond supervised exams. Although it has been stated that technology-assisted formative assessment provides many advantages in this process, technical, ethical, confidential, practical, and political difficulties have been encountered in the development, implementation, and use of such assessment methods.
This special issue aims to promote research and practice at the intersection of educational technology and formative assessment. For this special issue, we welcome empirical, conceptual, and theoretical papers reporting on research covering the fields of educational technology and formative assessment. In this special issue, we hope to broaden our knowledge of the theoretical foundations and pedagogical applications of technology-assisted formative assessment across a range of disciplines to improve students' learning processes and outcomes by embracing scholarly discussions from a variety of disciplines, including educational data mining, and learning analytics. We expect contributions to this issue to address the following topics, but the scope of the special issue is not limited to:
• The role of educational technology in formative assessment,
• Use of educational data mining and learning analytics in formative assessment,
• The effect of educational technology on the validity and reliability of formative assessments,
• Justice and sustainability in formative assessment with educational technology,
• Technology-supported approaches for the security of formative assessment,
• Use of educational technology for developmental assessment,
• Technology-assisted assessment to support learning processes and outcomes,
• New approaches to identifying theoretical constructs (and their relationships) in educational technology and formative assessment,
• Critical perspectives on the role of educational technology in formative assessment,
• *Contributions/impacts of technology to the applicability of the assessment approach for (or as learning) learning.Important Dates:
September 19th, 2022: Call for the special issue
November 20th, 2022: Deadline for submitting proposals not exceeding 2000 words
March 19th, 2023: Deadline for submitting the full text of articles
April 23rd, 2023: Deadline for review feedback of accepted articles to authors
May 28th, 2023: Publication dateSubmission and Inquiries:
Proposals will be evaluated by the special issue editors and feedback will be given to the authors from article proposal deadline within 15 days at the latest.
Proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
For suggestions, please use the "Template for Special Issue Proposals
" in the "Forms and Templates"
tab on our web page.Visit our web page: https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/epod
JMEEP-EPOD is indexed in SCOPUS and Web of Science (ESCI)