An Exploratory Study of Pilot Training and Recruitment in Europe
It is estimated that up to 50% of Commercial Pilot’s License (CPL) applicants trained by Approved Training Organizations (ATOs) fail their airline assessments. Considering the high cost of training and effort ATOs and student pilots put, this is a significant issue for the aviation industry that has received little attention from academic scholars. We conducted in-depth interviews with twelve industry professionals and documentary analysis was undertaken. We found that the main reasons are: (1) Lack of preparation or technical knowledge; (2) Poor communication skills; and (3) Poor display of teamwork and leadership. The paper suggests that regulation should be implemented for ATO’s to use screening processes on potential students to increase quality or Airline Pilot Standard Multi Crew-Cooperation (APS MCC) system, as an additional training system on top of what is being taught in ATOs. Regulations should further be linked with regular audits in place for smaller airlines to increase the effectiveness of their pilot assessments and recruitment processes in order to increase safety. Areas of further research as also identified.
Pilot Training, Pilot Assessment, Approved Training Organizations, Aviation safety, Aviation Regulation
- AAIU. (2020). Reports Overview. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from http://www.aaiu.ie/reports
- Airbus. (2019, August). Global Market Forecast: 2019-2038. Retrieved November 2nd, 2019, from https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corporate-topics/strategy/global-market-forecast/GMF-2019-2038-Airbus-Commercial-Aircraft-book.pdf
- Andraši, P., Domitrović, A., & Topolčány, R. (2014, November 13-14th). Organisation Management and Compliance Monitoring of Approved Training Organisation. Zagreb, Croatia: International Conference of Air Transport, INAR 2014:“Europe: How to Stay Connected?".
- AON. (2020). Cut-e: Talent Assessment for Aviation. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://assessment.aon.com/en-us/assessment-solutions/assessing-for-the-aviation-sector
- BEA. (2020). Recent Investigations. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.bea.aero/index.php?id=8&no_cache=1&L=1
- BFU. (2020). BFU Publications - Investigation Reports. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.bfu-web.de/EN/Publications/Investigation%20Report/reports_node.html
- Bilmoria, K., Johnson, W., & Schutte, P. (2014). Conceptual framework for single pilot operations. In Proceedings of the international conference on human-computer interaction in aerospace, (pp. pp. 1-8).
- Boeing. (2019). Boeing's Market Outlook: Pilot & Technician Outlook. Retrieved November 2nd, 2019, from https://www.boeing.com/commercial/market/pilot-technician-outlook/
- Burns, M. (2018). Everything You Need to Know About Becoming an Airline Pilot (1st ed.). Dublin: Kingdom Printers Limited.
- Butcher, J. N. (2003). Assessing Pilots with ‘the Wrong Stuff’: A Call for Research on Emotional Health Factors in Commercial Aviators. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 10(1-2).
- CAE. (2017, June). Airline Pilot Demand Outlook: 10-year view. Retrieved November 3rd, 2019, from https://www.cae.com/media/documents/Civil_Aviation/CAE-Airline-Pilot-Demand-Outlook-Spread.pdf
- CAE. (2020). Our Pilot Training Programmes. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.cae.com/civil-aviation/become-a-pilot/our-pilot-training-programmes/integrated-atpl-oxford/
- Civil Aviation Training Magazine. (2019). Serious Business in Berlin. CAT, 1(6), pp. 1-4.
- Cowan, N. (2008). What are the differences between long-term, short-term, and working memory? In W. S. Sossin, J.-C. Lacaille, V. F. Castellucci, & S. Belleville (Eds.), Progress in brain research (pp. pp. 323-338). Missouri: Elsevier.
- DSB. (2020). Dutch Safety Board - All Investigations. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.onderzoeksraad.nl/en/page/368/aviation#eyJoYXNvYmplY3RzIjpbXSwiYW55a2V5d29yZCI6W10sInR5cGUiOiJsaXN0IiwiZmFjZXRzIjp7fX0=
- EASA. (2011, November 3). Commission Regulation (EU) No. 1178/2011. Official Journal of the European Commission.
- EASA. (2016). NPA 2016-16: Regular update of Part-FCL - Regular update of Regulation (EU) No. 1178/2011 regarding pilot training ad licensing and the related oversight. Cologne, Germany: EASA.
- Efthymiou, M., & Papatheodorou, A. (2020). Environmental Policies in European Aviation: A Stakeholder Management Perspective. In Sustainable Aviation (pp. 101-125). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- EPST. (2020). European Pilot Selection & Training: Types of Aptitude Tests. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://pilotaptitudetest.com/knowledgebase_category/aptitude-test-types/
- FTE Jerez. (2019). Airline First Officer Programme: Fees and Payment. Retrieved November 7th, 2019, from http://www.ftejerez.com/downloads/FTE_AFOP_price_sheet.pdf
- Hilliard, M. (2017). The Irish Times. Retrieved February 25, 2020, from https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/concerned-pilots-say-deregulation-has-undermined-their-work-1.3167723
- ICAO. (2006). International Standards and Recommended Practices: Annex 1 to the Convention on the International Civil Aviation - Personnel Licensing. Montreal: ICAO.
- ICAO. (2016). Doc 9868, Procedures for Air Navigation Services - Training. Montreal: ICAO.
- Irvine, A., & Drew, P. (2013). "Am I not answering your questions properly?" Clarification, adequacy and responsiveness in semi-structured telephone and face-to-face interviews. Qualitative Research, 13(1), pp. 87-106.
- Kaspers, S., Karanikas, N., Roelen, A., Piric, S., Aalst, R. v., & Boer, R. d. (2016). Exploring the diversity in safety measurement practices: Empirical results from aviation. Journal of Safety Studies , 2(2), 18-29.
- Kelly, D., & Efthymiou, M. (2019). An analysis of human factors in fifty controlled flight into terrain aviation accidents from 2007 to 2017. Journal of Safety Research, 69, 155-165.
- Learmount, D. (2018). Royal Aeronautical Society: News Publications. Retrieved February 3rd, 2020, from https://www.aerosociety.com/news/pilot-light-industry-wakes-up-to-aircrew-shortage/
- Lehman, C. (2014). Bringing Walls Down in Berlin. The Journal for Civil Aviation Training (CAT), 1(1), pp. 10-14.
- Marginson, D. E. (2004). The case study, the interview and the issues: a personal refleciton. In The real life guide to accounting research (pp. pp. 325-337). Elsevier.
- Mavin, T. J., Roth, W.-M., & Dekker, S. (2013). Understanding Variance in Pilot Performance Ratings. Aviation Psychology and Applied Human Factors, 3, 53-62.
- Mitchell, S. J., & Evans, A. D. (2004). Flight Safety and Medical Incapacitation Risk of Airline Pilots. Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, 75(3), 260-268.
- Morse, J. M. (1998). The Contracted Relationship: Ensuring Protection of Anonymity and Confidentiality. Qualitative Health Research, 8(3), pp. 301-303.
- Murphy, G., & Efthymiou, M. (2017). Aviation safety regulation in the multi-stakeholder environment of an airport. Journal of Air Transport Studies, 8(2), 1-26.
- O'Shea, A. (2014). Competency Based Training and Assessment in APS MCC. Berlin: European Airline Training Symposium (EATS).
- Pulakos, E. D., & Schmitt, N. (1995). Experience-based and situational interview questions: Studies of validity. Personnel Psychology, 48(2), pp. 289-308.
- Renehan, D., & Efthymiou, M. (2020). Transatlantic Market Competition between Hybrid Carrier and Long-Haul Low-Cost Carrier Business Models. Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management, 12, e1820. https://dx.doi.org/10.5028/jatm.v12.1110
- SIAF. (2019). Airliner Veering Off the Runway During Landing Roll at Savonlinna Airport on 7 January 2019. Helsinki: Safety Investigation Authority Finland.
- Sohrabi, C., Alsafi, Z., O’Neill, N., Khan, M., Kerwan, A., Al-Jabir, A., . . . and Agha, R. (2020). World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19). International Journal of Surgery., 76(1), 71-76. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2020.02.034
- Sturges, J. E., & Hanrahan, K. J. (2004). Comparing telephone and face-to-face qualitative interviewing: a research note. Qualitative research, 4(1), pp. 107-118.
- Valenta, V. (2018). Effects of Airline Industry Growth on Pilot Training. MAD - Magazine of Aviation Development, 6(4), pp. 52-56.
- Wall, R., & Tangel, A. (2018, August 8th). Facing a Critical Pilot Shortage, Airlines Scramble to Hire New Pilots. The Wall Street Journal, 1(1), pp. 1-3.
- Williams, J., & Allen, J. (1964). Interviewer-respondent interaction: A study of bias in the information interview. Sociometry, 1(1), pp. 338-352.
- Wizz Air. (2019). Wizz Air Pilot Academy: Program Guidebook. Retrieved November 4th, 2019, from https://pilot-academy.wizzair.com/assets/pdf/WAPA_brochure_UNIFIED.pdf
- ICAO, 2020. Accident Statistics. [Online] Available at: https://www.icao.int/safety/iStars/Pages/Accident-Statistics.aspx [Accessed 25 February 2020].
Mühendislik, Hava ve Uzay
: 20 Temmuz 2020
: 5 Kasım 2020
: 30 Aralık 2020
|| Adanov, L
, Efthymiou, M
, Macintyre, A
An Exploratory Study of Pilot Training and Recruitment in Europe
International Journal of Aviation Science and Technology
, 01 (02) ,