The main aim of this journal is to publish the articles which have the qualifications listed below to be accessible at the national and international level;
1. Scientific publications which provide interdisciplinary studies on culture in connection with social, educational, science, and health sciences on the basis of the idea that culture contributes to the development and progress of civilization;
2. Scientific articles that are planned within the framework of culture, civilization, development, cultural heritage, cultural changes, cultural economy, and folklore and will contribute to the theoretical and methodological progress of the field;
3. Scientific publications that will contribute to the culture, economy, family, and work policies of the Republic of Turkey;
4. Scientific studies translated from a foreign language to follow the studies in the fields of international culture, civilization, development, cultural economy, cultural changes, cultural heritage;
5. Introductory articles and review articles in cultural studies that will contribute theoretically or methodologically to scientific disciplines.
6. The translations that are expected to contribute to the field.
Scientific articles provide an interdisciplinary basis for culture, civilization, development, change, cultural heritage, and cultural economy including research, analysis, and compilation of first Turkey and Turkish culture and civilization by employing scientific research theories and methods
1. Title: It should consist of no more than 12 words, be prepared in bold and capital letters at the center of the page. The title of second language should be added under the title of written language in capital letters and should be centered, as well. If the written language is Turkish, the second language should be English, if the written language is English, the second language should be Turkish. Subtitles should be written in bold without being numbered and the first letter of each word should be capitalized.
2. Author’s Information: The author’s information should be centered on the page just below the title in the second language. The author’s position, title, institution address, e-mail address, ORCID number information are given at the bottom of the first page with an asterisk associated with the author's surname.
3. Abstract and Keywords: Following the author’s information, 150-300 words abstracts must be added at the beginning of the paper. After the abstract, there should be five keywords appropriate to the content of the article. If the written language is Turkish, an English abstract and English title must be added or vise versa.
4. The Main Text: Authors should use Microsoft Word Program (.doc /.docx) while writing their papers. The main text should be prepared in Times New Roman, 12 font size, 1,5 line spacing. Authors are expected to use the Oktay New Transcription font for works involving transcription. If authors use different fonts, they must send the fonts with the article. Other guidelines for formatting are as follows: Paragraph indent 1 cm, margins 2 cm (bottom-top-right-left).
The article text should not exceed 10,000 words. The citation rate in concise articles should not exceed 35%. The article should start with the introduction section that explains the research question, hypothesis, purpose and method of the article, then continue with the development section, which may also include subtitles and consists of data, observations, opinions, comments, and discussions. It should end with the conclusion section.
5. Citation: All direct citations should be given in quotation marks and italics. There is no need to use quotation marks in indirect quotations, but it is required to give the source information in a parenthetical citation. Footnotes should not be used when citing the source. Article texts should be prepared according to the APA format that follows the author-page method of in-text citation. According to the writing rules determined by the journal, the guidelines for references are as follows:
In-text citation for sources by one author (Köprülü 2003: 145).
In-text citations for sources by multiple authors (Oğuz et al. 2018: 356).
In-text citations for sources that are published by the same author in the same year (Düzgün 2020a: 46; Düzgün 2020b: 79).
In-text citations for one more source in the same sentence (Körülü 2003: 145; Düzgün 2014: 230; Atnur 2017: 18).
Citing the indirect sources: (Aarne 1910, qtd. Günay 1975: 20). Whenever possible, take material from the original source, rather than citing an indirect source
Oral Source citation (Name Surname, Date / Place of Interview).
If the name of the cited author is given in the text: (2014: 12)
Abbreviations such as abid. ag. should not be used.
In works or manuscripts whose publication date is not known, only the author’s name is given.
For works whose author name is not known, the name of the work should be written.
Internet resources should be given with the web address and date of access.
6. Footnote: Except for the reference, additional information about the main subject of the text can be given with footnotes. Footnotes are at the end of the page. Footnotes are given in 9 points and single line spacing.
7. Bibliography: The bibliography should be placed at the end of the article and in alphabetical order according to the surname of the author. The bibliography should be in accordance with the writing rules of the journal.
Only works cited in the text should be included.
Bullets should not be used to list the references
If there is more than one citation for the same author, the date of publication should be taken as a basis in the order of the list.
If more than one work of the same author published in the same year is cited, the references should be listed by coding as a, b, c.
Bibliography Rules and Guidelines :
Books: (It includes stories, novels, poems, textbooks, scientific boks )
Books with one author: Özdemir, Nebi (2017) Kültür Bilimi ve Yönetimi, Ankara: Grafiker Yayınları.
Books with three or more authors: Oğuz, M. Öcal vd. (2008) Halkbiliminde Kuramlar ve Yaklaşımlar 1, Ankara: Grafiker Yayınları.
Edited books: Alver, Köksal (Ed.) (2019) Kent Sosyolojisi, İstanbul: Çizgi Kitabevi.
Translated books: Tomlinson, John (2013) Küreselleşme ve Kültür, İstanbul: Ayrıntı Yayınları.
Books chapter from a edited book: Güvenç, Ahmet Özgür (2019) “Çizgi Roman Formunda Yayımlanan Dede Korkut Anlatıları: Çocuk Haftası Dergisi Örneği”, Çizgi Roman Kitabı (Ed.: Emine Gürsoy Naskali), İstanbul: Kitabevi Yayınları.
Journal Article: (It include short works such as a journal article, a book chapter, an encyclopedia article, an interview and a letter) Düzgün, Dilaver (2019) “Halk Kültürü Değişmeleri ve Bir Alan Araştırması”, Milli Folklor, 31 (124), 62-74.
Translated Journal Article: Bronner, Simon J. (2017) “Uygulamadaki Folklorun Bir Tanımına Doğru”, (Çev.: Aral, Ahmet Erman), Milli Folklor, 29 (113), 93-116.
Web Sources: Sarı, Selay. “Dizilerle Kültür İhracatı” (05 Ağustos 2017) Erişim Tarihi: 1 Haziran 2021. http://www.milliyetsanat.com/yazar-detay/selay-sari/dizilerle-kultur-ihracati/8241
Audiovisual Media: The person who made a significant contribution to work such as director, screenwriter, actor, writer, composer, singer. will be highlighted. Akay, Ezel (Yönetmen). 2006. Karagöz Hacivat Neden Öldürüldü?. Senaryo: Ezel Akay, Levent Kazak. Oyuncular: Beyazıt Öztürk, Haluk Bilginer vd. DVD. Özen Film.
Oral Sources: Özdemir, Fuat (Âşık Fuat Çerkezoğlu), 1950 Narman doğumlu, halk ozanı. Görüşme tarihi: 17 Temmuz 2006.
Publishing Ethics: Articles submitted to the journal are obliged to comply with national and international publication ethics. All responsibility related to publication ethics in this journal belongs to the author. All responsibility in articles that have two or more authors belongs to all of the authors. The views and opinions expressed in the papers and the scientific and legal obligation belong to the author/authors and do not reflect the views of the journal and the institution.
All new submissions to the journal are checked by ethical editors by using Turnitin or iThenticate programs in the cases of plagiarism to verify the originality and quality of the article.
Research Ethics: It is an obligation that the article must obtain the necessary written permission to include materials such as illustrations and tables that are owned by a third party.
Taking another person’s ideas and reproduction of any artwork will always require to comply with copyright regulations.
Obtaining a Legal / Special Permit Certificate: Before starting the study, all kinds of research such as survey, interview, focus group work, observation, experiment, interview methods that require data collection from participants and using humans and animals for experimental purposes require the written permission obtained by the Ethics Committee of the respective institution which is established for researches on humans and animals. It should also be declared that the study was carried out in accordance with the Law on Protection of Personal Data.
THE EVALUATION OF PAPERS
Submission Guidelines: To submit a paper to the journal, authors should register themselves using the following registration page https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/culture. Authors should guarantee that they do not send their articles for publication elsewhere.
Editorial Board: The editorial board consists of the chief editor, field editors, and assistant editors. Articles uploaded to the system are subject to preliminary evaluation by the editorial board. The committee detects whether the articles have been previously published elsewhere and if the article is the reproduction of the thesis, whether the text is a copy of any part of the thesis. In addition, in this process, the results of the plagiarism of the articles are checked with Turnitin and iThenticate. These controls are carried out in order to verify the originality of the articles to be published in the journal. The editorial board also makes a preliminary assessment of the compliance of the articles with the journal’s publication principles. Manuscripts that do not meet these criteria may be rejected by the board or corrections may be requested. The articles whose preliminary evaluation is positive are forwarded to the editorial board for evaluation. The submission period of the articles from the editorial board to the broadcasting board takes two weeks at the latest.
Advisory Board: Advisory Board evaluates the articles accepted by the editors in the preliminary evaluation. They check for alignments between the form and content of the articles and the journal’s stated principles, purpose, and scope. The articles approved in terms of subject, methodology, format features, and publication ethics are sent to the referees determined by the editorial board. Manuscripts that are not qualified enough in terms of language use, contain scientifically critical errors, and do not comply with publication principles are rejected by the editorial board. Rejected manuscripts are notified to the authors with the committee report within two weeks at the latest after the editorial board meeting.
Peer Review Process: Articles that pass pre-assessment of the Editorial Board are sent to two referees at least in order to evaluate. This journal uses a double-blind review, which means that both the reviewer and author identities are concealed from the reviewers, and vice versa, throughout the review process. To facilitate this, authors need to ensure that their manuscripts are prepared in a way that does not give away their identity. The referees evaluate the articles in terms of their contribution to national and universal science and compliance with ethical principles, spelling and writing rules, style and expression, literature review, method, findings, and results. Referees have the authority of evaluating, approving, and not publishing articles. The duration of evaluation by the referee takes one month. After completing the Referee Evaluation Report, referees will ask authors to revise articles, papers are sent back and authors make necessary corrections within two weeks. The reviewers have the right to check the new version of the articles after the corrections have been made.
Authors consider referee’s criticisms, proposals, and revision requests. If there are issues with which authors disagree about referees’ decisions, they have the right to object with their reasons. In this case, the final decision is always taken by the Editorial Board.
Decision: Manuscripts approved by two referees will be accepted for publication. Articles that receive a negative report from two referees will be declined. In case of a negative evaluation of one of the referees, the manuscript is sent to a third referee. If the third referee also reports a negative result, the article is rejected by the editorial board. Reviewers may request revisions to papers. Referee reports are delivered to the author and after the papers are revised in accordance with the reports, they go to the publishing stage. Referee reports are kept for 6 years. The names of referees in the relevant issue are included in the relevant issue of the journal collectively.
Transfer of Copyrights: In order to protect the rights of both authors and publishers, the author must give a legal permission document through the web address of the journal. The copyright of the published articles is supposed to be transferred to the Journal of Culture and Civilization.
Publication Process: The accepted articles are typed. After completing the DOI procedures, the DOI number on the cover page of each paper, the submission, acceptance, and publication dates of the study are added and published online at https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/culture. All or part of the published articles cannot be published elsewhere or reproduced in any way without the legal permission of the publisher. Quotations can only be used by citing the source.
No fee is charged for article submission and process operation.