GMO Journal of Ship and Marine Technology (GMOShipMar) / Publication Ethics and Responsibilities:
GMO Journal of Ship and Marine Technology (hereafter (GMOShipMar) is a journal that has been published annually since 1955, aiming to improve its members’ knowledge about the profession of ship and marine technologies, to develop the sector especially in the interests of the country and to announce technological innovations. GMOShipMar is an international, refereed, multidisciplinary scientific journal that has been published at least 2 times a year.
GMOShipMar it is committed to provide a platform where highest standards of publication ethics are the key aspect of the editorial and peer-review processes.
The editorial process for a manuscript to the GMOShipMar consists of a double-blind review, which means that both the reviewer and author identities are concealed from the reviewers, and vice versa, throughout the review process. If the manuscrit is accepted in the review stage of the Editorial Process then, the submission goes through the editing stage, which consists of the processes of copyediting, language control, reference control, layout and proofreading. Reviewed articles are treated confidentially in GMOShipMar.
Papers submitted to GMOShipMar are screened for plagiarism with the iThenticate plagiarism detection tool. In case that the editors become aware of alleged or proven scientific misconduct, they can take the necessary steps. The editors have the right to retract an article whether submitted to GMOShipMar or published in GMOShipMar.
Following the completion of the editing stage, the manuscript is then scheduled for publication in an issue of the GMOShipMar. The articles which are submitted to GMOShipMar to be published are free of article submission, processing and publication charges. The accepted articles are published free-of-charge as online from the journal website and printed. The articles that are accepted to appear in the journal are made freely available to the public via the journal’s website. The journal is also being printed by UCTEA, The Turkish Chamber of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers on demand. The printed version can be accessed free of charge from The Turkish Chamber of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers .
GMOShipMar has editors and an editorial board which consists of academic members from at least five different universities. GMOShipMar has an open access policy which means that all contents are freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful research purposes.
Publication ethics of the GMOShipMar are mainly based on the guidelines and recommendations which are published by the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE), World Federation of Engineering Organizations (WFEO), Council of Science Editors (CSE) and Elsevier’s Publishing Ethics for Editors statements.
The duties and responsibilities of all parties in the publishing process including editors, authors and others are defined below.
The Responsibilities of the Authors:
• Authors are responsible for the scientific, contextual, and linguistic aspects of the articles which are published in the journal. The views expressed or implied in this publication, unless otherwise noted, should not be interpreted as official positions of the Institution.
• Authors should follow the “Author Guidelines” in GMOShipMar’s web page on DergiPark.
• Authors should conduct their researches in an ethical and responsible manner and follow all relevant legislation.
• Authors should take collective responsibility for their work and for the content of their publications.
• Authors should check their publications carefully at all stages to ensure that methods and findings are reported accurately.
• Authors must represent the work of others accurately in citations, quotations and references.
• Authors should carefully check calculations, data presentations, typescripts/submissions and proofs.
• Authors should present their conclusions and results honestly and without fabrication,
falsification or inappropriate data manipulation. Research images should not be modified in a misleading way.
• Authors should describe their methods to present their findings clearly and unambiguously.
• Authors accept that the publisher of GMOShipMar holds and retains the copyright of the published articles.
• Authors are responsible to obtain permission to include images, figures, etc. to appear in the article.
• In multi-authored publications - unless otherwise stated - author rankings are made according to their contributions.
• Authors should alert the editor promptly if they discover an error in any submitted.
• Authors should follow the publication requirements regarding that the submitted work is original and has not been published elsewhere in any language.
• Authors should work with the editor or publisher to correct their work promptly if errors are discovered after publication.
• If the work involves chemicals, procedures or equipment that have any unusual hazards inherent in their use, the authors must clearly identify these in the manuscript.
• If the work involves the use of animals or human participants, the authors should ensure that all procedures were performed in compliance with relevant laws and institutional guidelines and that the appropriate institutional committee(s) has approved them; the manuscript should contain a statement to this effect.
• Authors should also include a statement in the manuscript that informed consent was obtained for experimentation with human participants. Because the privacy rights of human participants must always be preserved. It is important that authors have an explicit statement explaining that informed consent has been obtained from human participants and the participants’ rights have been observed.
• Authors have the responsibility of responding to the reviewers’ comments promptly and cooperatively, in a point-by-point manner.
The Responsibilities of the Reviewers:
• Peer review process has two fundamental purposes as follow: The first purpose is to decide whether the relevant article can be published in GMOShipMar or not and the second purpose is to contribute to the improvement of the weaknesses of the related article before the publication.
• The peer review process for an article to the GMOShipMar consists of a double-blind review, which means that both the reviewer and author identities are concealed from the reviewers, and vice versa, throughout the review process. Reviewed articles are treated confidentially in GMOShipMar.
• Reviewers must respect the confidentiality of peer review process.
• Reviewers must refrain from using the knowledge that they have obtained during the peer review process for their own or others’ interests.
• Reviewers should definitely be in contact with the GMOShipMar if they suspect about the identity of the author(s) during the review process and if they think that this knowledge may raise potential competition or conflict of interest.
• Reviewers should notify the GMOShipMar in case of any suspicion regarding the potential competition or conflict of interest during the review process.
• Reviewers should accept to review the studies in which they have the required expertise to conduct an appropriate appraisal, they can comply with the confidentiality of the double-blind review system and that they can keep the details about the peer review process in confidential.
• Reviewers should be in contact with the GMOShipMar in order to demand some missing documents, following the examination of the article, supplementary files and ancillary materials.
• Reviewers should act with the awareness that they are the most basic determinants of the academic quality of the articles to be published in the journal and they should review the article with the responsibility to increase academic quality.
• Reviewers should be in contact with the GMOShipMar editors if they detect any irregularities with respect to the Publication Ethics and Responsibilities.
• Reviewers should review the articles within the time that has been allowed. If they can not review the article within a reasonable time-frame, then they should notify the journal as soon as possible.
• Reviewers should report their opinions and suggestions in terms of acceptance / revision / rejection for the manuscript in the peer review process through the Referee Review Form which is provided by GMOShipMar.
• In case of rejection, reviewers should demonstrate the deficient and defective issues about the manuscript in a clear and concrete manner in the provided Referee Review Form.
• Review reports should be prepared and submitted in accordance with the format and content of the Referee Review Form which is provided by GMOShipMar.
• Review reports should be fair, objective, original and prudent manner.
• Review reports should contain constructive criticism and suggestions about the relevant article.
The Responsibilities of the Editors:
• Editors are responsible of enhancing the quality of the journal and supporting the authors in their effort to produce high quality research. Under no conditions do they allow plagiarism or scientific misconduct.
• Editors ensure that all submissions go through a double-blind review and other editorial procedures. All submissions are subject to a double-blind peer-review process and an editorial decision based on objective judgment.
• Each submission is assessed by the editor for suitability in the GMOShipMar and then, sent to the at least two expert reviewers.
• Editors are responsible for seeking reviewers who do not have conflict of interest with the authors. A double-blind review assists the editor in making editorial decisions.
• Editors ensure that all the submitted studies have passed initial screening, plagiarism check, review and editing. In case the editors become aware of alleged or proven scientific misconduct, they can take the necessary steps. The editors have the right to retract an article. The editors are willing to publish errata, retractions or apologies when needed.