Effect of video information on anxiety level in women undergoing endometrial biopsy
Aim: We evaluated the impact of video information in addition to routinely applied verbal and written information on satisfaction and anxiety levels in women who are planned to undergo endometrial biopsy.
Materials and Methods: A total of 84 patients who underwent endometrial biopsy were included in this prospective study. Patients were divided into “video group” and “no video group” based on written and/or visual information provided. State anxiety scale (STAI-S) and the anxiety (HADS-A) subscale of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) were used to measure the anxiety levels of patients. Both groups were given standard verbal and written information about the biopsy. In addition, patients in the video group watched video information. Both groups were reevaluated with STAI-S and HADS-A afterward. Patient satisfaction was evaluated using a Likert-type scale and the pain score during biopsy was evaluated using visual analog scale (VAS).
Results: Pre-information STAI-S and HADS-A scores were high in both groups (STAI-S ≥ 42 and HADS-A ≥ 11). No significant difference was observed between the post-information and pre-information STAI-S and HADS-A scores of the no video group (p > 0.05). However, a significant decrease was observed in post-information STAI-S and HADS-A scores in the video group (p ≤ 0.001). Further, no significant difference was observed between the two groups in terms of VAS scores (p = 0.20). Satisfaction was higher in the group receiving video information (p = 0.001).
Conclusions: Endometrial biopsy can cause stress and increase patient anxiety. Video information reduces patient anxiety and increases satisfaction.
Endometrial biopsy,, anxiety, video information, State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale
- 1. Kazandi M, Okmen F, Ergenoglu AM, et al. Comparison of the success of histopathological diagnosis with dilatation-curettage and Pipelle endometrial sampling. J Obstet Gynaecol 2012;32(8):790-4.
- 2. Dogan E, Celiloglu M, Sarihan E, Demir A. Anesthetic effect of intrauterine lidocaine plus naproxen sodium in endometrial biopsy.Obstet Gynecol 2004;103(2):347-51.
- 3. Dönmez S. Dağ H. Kazandı M. Amniyosentez Öncesi Gebelerde Anksiyete ve Depresyon Risk Düzeylerinin Belirlenmesi. Acıbadem Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Dergisi 2012; 3(4):255-261.
- 4. Kinci MF, Yeşilçınar İ, Acavut G, Karaşahin KE. The opinions and thoughts of women who underwent hysterosalpingography for the first time: Letter to the editor. J Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc 2018; 19(3): 169–170.
- 5. Ekiz S,Göz F. Koroner anjiografi öncesi hastaları bilgilendirmenin anksiyete düzeyi üzerine etkisinin değerlendirilmesi. Atatürk Üniv. Hemşirelik Yüksekokulu Dergisi 2005;8(1): 20-30.
- 6. Lin SY, Huang HA, Lin SC, Huang YT, Wang KY, Shi HY. The effect of an anaesthetic patient information video on perioperative anxiety: A randomised study. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2016;33(2):134-139.
- 7. Jlala HA, French LJ, Foxall GL, Hardman JG, Bedforth NM. Effect of preoperative multimedia information on perioperative anxiety in patients undergoing procedures under regional anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 2010;104(3)369-74.
- 8. Wouters T, Soomers J, Smink M, et al. The effect of an animation video on consultation time, anxiety and satisfaction in women with abnormal cervical cytology: Animation video reduces colposcopy time. Prev Med Rep.2019;13:238-243.
- 9. Spielberger CD, Gorsuch RL, Lushene RE, Vagg PR, Jacobs GA. Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (FormY) (“Self-Evaluation Questionnaire”). Palo Alto CA, Consulting Psychologists Press, 1983
- 10. Oner N, Le-Compte A. Handbook of the Stait-Trait Anxiety Inventory [in Turkish]. 2nd ed. Istanbul: Bogazici University Press; 1985.
11. Zigmond AS, Snaith RP. The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1983;67:361-70.
- 12. Aydemir Ö, Güvenir T, Küey L, Kültür S. Hastane Anksiyete ve Depresyon Ölçeği Türkçe Formunun Geçerlik Güvenilirlik Çalışması. Türk Psikiyatri Dergisi 1997;8(4):280-287.
- 13. Tou S, Tou W, Mah D, Karatassas A, Hewett P. Effect of preoperative two-dimensional animation information on perioperative anxiety and knowledge retention in patients undergoing bowel surgery: a randomized pilot study. Colorectal Dis. 2013;15(5):e256-65.
- 14. Bytzer P, Lindeberg B. Impact of an information video before colonoscopy on patient satisfaction and anxiety - a randomized trial. Endoscopy. 2007;39(8):710-4.
- 15. Herrmann KS, Kreuzer H. A randomized prospective study on anxiety reduction by preparatory disclosure with and without video film show about a planned heart catheterization. Eur Heart J Eur Heart J. 1989;10(8):753-7.
- 16. Ketelaars PJW, Buskes MHM, Bosgraaf RP, et al. The effect of video information on anxiety levels in women attending colposcopy: a randomized controlled trial. Acta Oncol. 2017;56(12):1728-1733.
- 17. Byrom J, Clarke T, Neale J, et al. Can pre-colposcopy sessions reduce anxiety at the time of colposcopy? A prospective randomised study. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2002;22(4):415-20.
- 18. Wouters T, Soomers J, Smink M, et al. The effect of an animation video on consultation time, anxiety and satisfaction in women with abnormal cervical cytology: Animation video reduces colposcopy time. Prev Med Rep. 2019;13:238-243.
- 19. Kazancioglu HO, Tek M, Ezirganli S, Demirtas N. Does watching a video on third molar surgery increase patients' anxiety level? Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2015;119(3):272-7
- 20. Caumo W, Schmidt AP, Schneider CN, et al. Risk factors for preoperative anxiety in adults. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2001;45(3):298-307.
- 21. Domar AD, Everett LL, Keller MG. Preoperative anxiety: Is it a predictable entity? Anesth Analg l989; 69: 763-7.
- 22. Turhan Y, Avcı R, Özcengiz D. Elektif Cerrahi Hazırlığında Preoperatif ve Postoperatif Anksiyetenin Hasta Memnuniyeti ile İlişkisi. Anestezi Dergisi 2012; 20 (1): 27 - 33.
- 23. Kale A, Kale E, Erdemlioğlu M, Akdeniz N, Canoruç N, Yayla M. The effect of general and spinal anaesthesia on maternal and newborn cortisol levels in elective cesarean deliveries. J Perinatol 2006; 14(3): 117-54.
- 24. Doering BG. Postoperatif Ağrı ve Psikolojik Faktörler. Doktor Dergisi 2009; 51: 94-6.
- 25. G Sağır, M Kaya, HE Eskiçırak, Ö Kapusuz, AN Kadıoğulları. Spinal Anestezi Planlanan Hastalarda Görsel Bilgilendirmenin Preoperatif Anksiyete Üzerine Etkisi. Turk J Anesth Reanim 2012; 40(5): 274-8.
- 26. Kain ZN, Sevarino F, Alexander GM, Pincus S, Mayes LC. Preoperative anxiety and postoperative pain in women undergoing hysterectomy. A repeated-measures design. J Psychosom Res. 2000;49(6):417-22.
Sağlık Bilimleri ve Hizmetleri
||The author(s) received no financial support for the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.
||This study protocol was approved by Clinical Research Ethical Committee of of the Faculty of Medicine of Ahi Evran University with a protocol number of 2019-12/139 and conducted in accordance with the Declaration of Helsinki and Good Clinical Practices.
||The authors thank all the participants in this study
: 13 Eylül 2020
: 30 Aralık 2020
Soykan Sert Z
Effect of video information on anxiety level in women undergoing endometrial biopsy.
J Contemp Med.