The Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies (TJDS) is a biannual, peer-reviewed academic journal and publishes articles in both English and Turkish. TJDS is motivated to make sufficient space for scholars across the globe who study a challenging subject traversing multiple disciplines and geographic borders. TJDS aims to create a platform in which the topic of diaspora in its broadest meaning finds room for dissenting voices, diachronic and critical perspectives, and dynamic debates from any point of view.
TJDS aspires to broaden and deepen our understanding of diasporas in the worldwide scene and in the Turkish diaspora in particular, including empirically based studies in social sciences, as well as theoretical and historical studies. Intersecting disciplines of humanities in particular, politics, international relations, postcolonial and spatial studies, economics, security, electoral and religious studies, gender and disability studies, digital humanities, nation and identity studies, to name few, TJDS also includes studies about the experiences of people of Turkish origin who have settled abroad for various reasons.
TJDS’s focus of interest includes original studies incorporating research articles, book reviews, scientific translations, review articles, and interviews with experts. TJDS also plans to publish special issue(s) regarding prevalent and emerging topics and themes in the field.
DOI numbers are assigned to all articles published in the journal.
TJDS is part of the Migration Research Foundation’s (GAV) Perspektif Publications, which specializes in migration and diaspora issues.
Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies invites the submission of manuscripts on any topic of diaspora interest.
On the title page provide the full names of the authors, academic or other professional affiliations, and the complete address of the author with whom the editor should correspond.
It is understood that manuscripts and book reviews submitted to Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies have not been and will not be submitted simultaneously or published elsewhere, unless otherwise agreed.
It is further understood that opinions expressed in Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors, members of the International Advisory Board, and or the publisher.
Any necessary rights or permissions to reproduce quoted material or illustrations published elsewhere remain the responsibility of the author(s).
Manuscripts submitted to Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies should embody the results of sustained research into matters of interest to social scientists and diaspora experts. Authors should note that they are writing for an international readership and they should therefore communicate in clear, straightforward English (American spelling), avoiding whenever possible the extensive use of professional jargon. The use of appropriate illustrations is encouraged.
To ensure that your article is free of spelling and grammar errors, Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies provides English language editing service. For more information, including pricing, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Guest Editor Guide
Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies publishes special sections and special issues. Proposals for a special section/issue should be emailed to the editor-in-chief Necati Anaz at email@example.com. A special issue proposal should include a one page summary of the topic, the names and affiliations of the contributors, and the titles and short abstracts of each of the papers. A Special Section/Issue consists of a collection of original research papers, review articles and an introduction by the Guest Editor(s). Guest Editor(s) take the primary responsibility for liaison with contributing authors and peer reviewers.
Formatting and Templates
All material submitted should be typed with lines one-and-a-half-spaced, have wide margins, and use one side of the paper. The manuscripts several parts (abstract, list of references, tables, and list of figure captions) should begin on separate sheets, and all parts should be typed and one-and-a-half-spaced. Tables should be prepared with a minimum of rules, following the format of tables in existing issues of the journal. The total length of a manuscript, including references, should not exceed 8000 words (6000-8000 words). Each article should be accompanied by a 150-200-word abstract in English. Articles written in Turkish should include abstracts in both English and Turkish. Articles written in Turkish must have an extended abstract giving the scope of study for English readers. Extended abstract should not exceed 1000 words. The abstracts should include maximum of 5 keywords.
Peer Review and Ethics
Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies is committed to peer-review integrity and upholding the highest standards of review. Once your paper has been assessed for suitability by the editor, it will then be double blind peer reviewed by independent, anonymous expert referees. If necessary, manuscripts will be sent to a third referee for further evaluation. The publication of the papers is subject to the approval of referees. Authors are responsible for making necessary corrections asked by referees.
While preparing the articles, national and international ethic rules should be observed. The papers are passed through the ithenticate plagiarism screening program after the application is accepted. The articles that are not in compliance with the research and publication ethics, or those in which a risk of plagiarism is detected are not subject to evaluation.
More than one article of an author cannot be published in the same issue.
Open Access Policy
TJDS is an Open Access journal which aims to provide immediate, worldwide, barrier-free access to every published article. This, we believe, will help to increase the visibility and impact factor of work published in the journal.
Submitting Your Paper
Articles prepared in accordance with the above mentioned principles and writing rules are sent via http://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/tjds. Articles sent to their authors for development and/or for correction in line with the reports should come back to the journal after the required adjustments have been made no later than 15 days.
Due to the 2018 Ulakbim (TR Index) criteria, researchers who wish to publish articles in our journal should have the ORCID number. This number can be obtained free of charge from http://www.orcid.org.
TJDS now considers a paper in any citation format. Author(s) only need to conform to our style once the paper is on track for publication.
At the end of the main text, the references should be listed in alphabetical order by authors' last name and in ascending chronological order for each author. Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies encourages authors to use APA style referencing. Authors should follow this format in the preparation of their typescripts. Only cited references should be listed. You can also use manuscripts published in earlier issues of the journal for your referencing style.
Turkish Journal of Diaspora Studies (TJDS) is committed to peer-review integrity and upholding the highest standards of reviews. Working on and contributing to TJDS journals, we want editors, reviewers, and writers to dedicate themselves to keeping these high ethical standards as well. In this regard, we establish some general expectations for authors, editors, reviewers, and publishers in our ethical standards and procedures. We follow universal principles of ethical standards.
When the works presented to the journal used data that are collected through face-to-face written interview questionnaires, interviews, focus group work, experiments, etc. and, in the case of the use of humans for experimental purposes, it is mandatory to obtain an Ethics Committee Approval Certificate- from the relevant institution before the study. The papers are passed through the Turnitin plagiarism screening program after the application is accepted.
Articles that do not comply with the research and publication ethics, or those that have detected risk of plagiarism are not subject to evaluation. Any necessary rights or permissions to reproduce quoted material or illustrations published elsewhere remain the responsibility of the author(s). More than one article by an author can not be published in the same issue.
Peer Review Policy
TJDS uses the double-anonymous peer review model. TJDS apply the following conditions for the article:
• A paper has been assessed for suitability by the editor. If a journal editor has a conflict of interest with a manuscript or its authors, the manuscript will be assigned to a different member of the editorial team, such as a deputy editor, an associate editor, or a member of the editorial board.
• A paper will then be double-blind by independent, anonymous expert referees.
• If necessary, manuscripts will be sent to a third referee for further evaluation.
• The publication of the papers is subject to the approval of referees.
• Authors are responsible for making necessary corrections asked by referees.
• The submitted manuscript should be the author's /authors' original work and should not be plagiarized from any prior works, each of the authors who participated in the work substantively is bound to take public responsibility for their work, each of the authors has to see and approve the manuscript as submitted, a submitted manuscript should not be published or submitted or considered for publication elsewhere, the text, illustrations, and any other materials included in the manuscript do not infringe upon any existing copyright or other rights of anyone.
• The author(s) declare the accuracy of any information they provide during the application process and do not make any misleading, incorrect, or incomplete statements.
• The author(s) should have a document showing that they have the right to use the data used, the necessary permissions for the research/analysis, or the consent of the experimented subjects.
• The Contributor(s) or, if applicable, the Contributor’s Employer, retain(s) all proprietary rights in addition to copyright, patent rights; to use, free of charge, all parts of this article for the author’s future works in books, lectures, classroom teaching or oral presentations, the right to reproduce the article for their purposes provided the copies are not offered for sale.
• The Copyright Agreement Form must be signed/ratified by all authors. Separate copies of the form (completed in full) may be submitted by authors located at different institutions; however, all signatures must be original and authenticated.
• The Title Page Form must be filled by all authors.
• Author(s) must notify the journal/editor if there is any conflict of interest regarding the work they are applying for.
• Author(s) are required to indicate if they have received financial support for the realization, authorship, or publication of the study.
• The editor is responsible for applying the Double-Blind Reviewing policies included in the journal's publication policies. In this context, the editor ensures that the fair, impartial and timely evaluation process of each work is completed.
• The TJDS editorial board must initiate an investigation into a work that has been published, in an early appearance, or under evaluation if copyright and plagiarism are suspected.
• If the editorial board detects copyright and plagiarism in the work under evaluation as a result of the investigation, it withdraws the work from the evaluation and returns the detected cases to the authors by giving a detailed source.
• If the editorial board detects copyright infringement and plagiarism in a published or early-view work, the following withdrawal and notification procedures are carried out within one week at the latest.
• Peer reviewers cannot directly communicate with authors, evaluations and comments are submitted through the journal management system (Dergipark).
• Peer reviewers agree to consider only matters related to their area of expertise.
• The manuscripts have been evaluated through the Double-Blind Reviewing model.
• When peer reviewers disclose any kind of potential or immediate conflict of interest during the review of the submission, they should recuse themselves.
• If the peer reviewer has any concerns about the originality of the article or other ethically problematic issues in the article, he or she will inform the editor(s).
• The peer reviewer(s) makes the assessment objectively only in relation to the content of the work.
• The language of the assessment of the work should be polite and constructive.
Migration Research Foundation, the publisher of TJDS, is a non-profit organization that pursues the public interest. TJDS aims to provide a medium for the publication of original papers covering the entire span of diaspora and migration studies. In this context, the editorial board of this journal has formed by considering the Social Sciences branches. The board is consists of co-editors, editorial assistants, editorial boards, and advisory boards. The subjected board acts according to the following ethical responsibilities:
• The publisher bears the responsibility to act honestly in the case of conflict of interest during the evaluation of articles.
• TJDS undertakes to create an independent editorial decision.
• TJDS has published the content under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) license that permits people to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format other than for commercial purposes, as well as remix, transform and build upon the material by providing appropriate credit to the original work.
• All materials related to the manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures, etc., be kept by TJDS for one year following the editor’s decision. After the duration of the time, then these materials will be destroyed.
* The ethical Standards and Publication Policy of TJDS are edited suitably according to the TR Dizin academic principles.
There are no submission fees, publication fees or page charges for this journal. In addition, the authors whose articles are published are sent free of charge to the issue they contributed.