Duzce University, Department of Sociology
Konuralp Yerleskesi 81620 Duzce TURKEY
E: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
P: +90(380)5421100 (3973)
Dec. 2019 – present Associate Professor in Sociology Dept. Duzce Univ. (Turkey)
January 2015 – Dec. 2019 Assistant Professor in Sociology Dept. Duzce Univ. (Turkey)
Sociology of migration, gender in current migration flows in Turkey; undocumented, asylum seeker and refugee women; gendered division of migrant labour; human trafficking in women; regional and national migration politics; social work with refugees; prostitution regimes and politics; research ethics.
Undergraduate courses (2016-2021): Sociology of gender, sociology of migration, qualitative research methodology, sociology of economics.
Graduate courses (2017-2021): Gender and migration studies, migration theories, migration policy, qualitative research methodology.
2014, Ph.D. in Migration Studies, University of Kent (UK)
Title: Policy and Practice against Sex-trafficking, A Case Study: Turkey (Sup. Dr. Lucy Williams, Dr. Lavinia Mitton)
2005, M.A. in Development Economics, Marmara University (Turkey)
Title: Economic Contributions of Female Migrants in Western European Countries
1999, B.A. in Economics Istanbul University (Turkey)
June - Sept 2017. Visiting Researcher at Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS), the University of Oxford, UK.
June - July 2016. Visiting Researcher at Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS), the University of Oxford, UK.
Williams, L., Kaska, S. and Coskun, E. (Eds). (2020). Women, Migration and Asylum in Turkey: Developing Gender Sensitivity in Migration, Research and Practice. London: Palgrave Macmillan
Coşkun, E. and Sarıalioğlu, Ö. (2020). Kentin Ötekileri olarak Sahra-altı Afrikalı Göçmenler: Kumkapı Örneği. In Göç ve Kent: Etkileşimler, Y. Ahi, M.N.Gültekin and M. Açıkgöz (eds). Ankara: Nika, pp.73-99.
Coşkun, E. (2020). Institutional Blind Spots’ in Turkey’s Policy Against the Trafficking of Women, in Women, Migration and Asylum in Turkey: Developing Gender Sensitivity in Migration, Research and Practice. Williams, L., Kaska, S. and Coskun, E. (Eds). London: Palgrave Macmillan. Pp.147-167.
Coskun, E. and Eski, B. (2020). Gender in the Turkish Asylum Process, in Women, Migration and Asylum in Turkey: Developing Gender Sensitivity in Migration, Research and Practice. Williams, L., Kaska, S. and Coskun, E. (Eds). London: Palgrave Macmillan. Pp.103-122.
Coşkun, E. , Sarıalioğlu, Ö. and, Dinçer, C. G. (2020). "Göç Araştırmalarında Söylem, Yöntem ve Etik: FeministBir Yöntem Mümkün Mü?". Fe Dergi 12: 70-81
Coskun, E. and Eski, B. (2019). Erkek şiddetinden kaçarken... Türkiye'de kadın ve LGBTİ+ sığınmacılar (Escaping from male violence… Women and LGBTI+ asylum seekers in Turkey). Istanbul: Sosyal Arastirmalar Vakfi.
Coskun, E. (2018). Criminalisation and prostitution of migrant women in Turkey: A case study of Ugandan women. Women's Studies International Forum. 68, May–June 2018, pp. 85-93.
Coskun, E. and Yılmaz, Ç. (2018) Sığınmacıların Toplumsal Uyum Sorunları ve Sosyal Hizmetlere Erişimi: Düzce Uydu Kent Örneği (Asylum Seekers’ Social Integration Problems and Access to Social Services: A Case of Düzce Satellite City). Sosyal Siyaset Konferansları Dergisi. 75: 269–305. DOI: 10.26650/jspc.2018.75.0016
Coskun, E. (2017). Sosyal Hizmetin Kapsamadıkları: Kağıtsız Göçmen Kadınlar. Sosyal Hizmetlerde Güncel Tartışmalar: Sosyal Hizmet(ler)i Yeniden Düşünmek Konferansları İçinde. N. Şahin Taşgın, U. Tekin ve Y. Ahi. Ankara: Nika Yayınevi. ss. 217-233.
- (2017). Gender, Migration And Prostitution In Turkey. Sergey V. Ryazantsev (ed). In Female Migration: Forms, Trends, Consequences Volume 3, No. 1. Moscow: The Russian Academy Of Sciences Institute Of Socio-Political Research Center For Social Demography. pp. 75-86
- (2017). “Undocumented Migrant Women in Turkey: Legislation, Labour and Sexual Exploitation”, M. Murat Yüceşahin ve Pınar Yazgan (ed.) In Revisiting Gender and Migration. London: Transnational Press London. pp. 75-88.
- (2017) “Fuhşa giden yolda kâğıtsız göçmen kadınlar” (Routes into Prostitution: Undocumented Migrant Women). Toplum ve Bilim Dergisi. 141. pp.194-220.
- (2017) “Türkiye’de Kağıtsız Göçmen Kadınlar ve Sosyal Hizmetler" (Undocumented Migrant Women and Social Work in Turkey). Çalışma ve Toplum. 2017/3. pp.1299-1316.
- (14 July 2016). Sophie's journey: three countries, three stories, same abuse. Open Democracy. (Online) https://www.opendemocracy.net/beyondslavery/emel-coskun/sophies-journey-three-countries-three-stories-same-abuse
- (2016). Consent' issue in sex trafficking and evidences from Turkey. Social Politics. Vol. 23 (3): 437-458.
- (2016). Türkiye'nin göç rejiminde toplumsal cinsiyet faktörü: Ugandalı göçmen kadınlar örneği [Gender factor in Turkey’s migration regime: A case of Ugandan migrant women]. Fe Dergi. Vol.8, no.1, 91-104.
- (2016). Bunların gerçek olduğuna inanmıyor musunuz? Araştırma etiğine dair 'yukarıdan' notlar..." [Don't you believe that these are true? Notes from 'up' on research ethics] in Etnografik Hikayeler [Ethnographic Stories], Z. Nilüfer Nahya and Rabia Narmanşah (Eds). Istanbul: Metis Yayinevi.
- (2015). Curbing sex trafficking in Turkey: the policy-practice divide. The Asian and Pacific Migration Journal (APMJ). Vol. 24(3) 327-352.
- (2014). Türkiye'de Göçmen Kadınlar ve Seks Ticareti Migrant Women and Sex Trafficking in Turkey. Çalışma ve Toplum. 42:185-206.
Coskun, E. and Senses, N. (2012). "Non-Governmental Organizations: Migrant Associations, Associations, Foundations and Other Organisations that Work for Migrants". In Irregular Labour Migration In Turkey And Situation Of Migrant Workers In The Labour Market. Toksoz, G., Erdogdu, S. and Kaska, S. (Eds). International Organisation for Migration (IOM). Policy Paper No. 3072: 111-125.
Coskun, E. (2020). Women, Migration and Asylum in Turkey: Developing Gender-Sensitivity in Migration Research, Policy and Practice, Online Seminar, organised by University of Kent, Brussels School of International Studies. 25 Nov. 2020.
Coskun, E. (2018). Silenced and Undocumented: Gender effects in Forced Migration in
Turkey. Presented at IASFM 17: Whither Refugees? Restrictionism, Crises and Precarity Writ Large, Thessaloniki, Greece. 24-27 July 2018.
Coskun, E. (2017). “Gendered Effects of Turkey’s Asylum/Refugee Regime”. Development Studies Association (DSA) 2017: Sustainability Interrogated: Societies, Growth, and Social Justice. Bradford University, United Kingdom. 6-8 September 2017.
“Gendered Effects of Turkey’s Asylum/Refugee Regime”. Turkish Migration Conference 2017, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece. 23-26 August 2017.
“Women in Turkey's Migration Regime: Ugandan Women in Kumkapı”. Turkish Migration Conference 2016 University of Vienna, Austria. 13 July 2016.
"Gender, Race And Migration In Turkey: A Case Study Of Kumkapı” Kyambogo University International Multi-Disciplinary Conference 2016. Kampala, Uganda. 29-31 January 2016.
"Policy and Practice against Sex Trafficking in Turkey". Migration, Gender and Health Symposium, 5-6 November 2015. Marmara University, Istanbul. Turkey.
"Policy and Practice against Sex Trafficking in Turkey". 15th International Conference of "Migration and Gender”, Dudelange, Luxemburg. 18 June 2015.
“Migrant organisations and migrant supporting organisations in Turkey”. International Workshop on Labour Rights as Human Rights; Migration, Citizenship and Mobilisation of Civil Society in Turkey and Sweden. REMESO, Linköping University (Sweden) and Ankara University (Turkey). Swedish Consulate. Istanbul, Turkey. April 2013.
June 2021 – Cont. Aşk mı Hayatta Kalma Mücadelesi mi? Türkiye’de Sınır-Ötesi Evliliklerde Göçmen Kadınlar (Love or Struggle for Survival? Migrant Women in Cross-Border Marriages in Turkey) TUBITAK-1002 funded research project.
July 2017 - July 2018. “Evaluation of Social Integration of Asylum Seekers And Refugees In Duzce ”. Funded by the Scientific Research Projects Unit of Duzce University. Conducted together with Dr. Çetin Yılmaz.
June-December 2017. “Gendered Effects of Turkey’s Asylum/Refugee Regime”. Funded by Raul Wallenberg Institute, Istanbul. Conducted together with Beril Eski.
July 2016 and June-September 2017. Visiting Researcher at the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology and the Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS), the University of Oxford.
July 2015 - July 2016. “Migrant women in migration and prostitution regimes in Turkey: A Case Study of Kumkapı”. Funded by the Scientific Research Projects Unit of Duzce University.
May 2011-Oct. 2012. "Irregular Labour Migration and Employment in Turkey”. Researcher Assistant under the provision of Assoc. Prof. Selmin Kaska (Marmara Univ.). Research Coordinator: Prof. Gülay Toksöz (Ankara Univ.) Publisher/Funding body: International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
2017-18 – Research Grant from the Department of Scientific Research Projects, Duzce University, Turkey.
2017 (June-Sept.) – Post-Doctoral Research Scholarship, TUBITAK (2219), The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey.
2016 – Research Grant from the Department of Scientific Research Projects of Duzce University, Turkey.
2016 - Publication in International Journals Award, Duzce University.
2008-2012 Overseas Research Student Awards Scheme (ORSAS), University of Kent, UK.